Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW tdi engine failure today, no warning

Options
  • 20-08-2016 12:53am
    Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭

Driving along today suddenly wihout reason engine started making scraping noises on tick over at traffic lights ,I reved it it stopped so I pulled in asap turned car off ,now engine has locked up it will not turn over, car was driving fine loads of power , it had 350 k km /210 k miles mk 5 golf bkc engine, has my engine self destructed , I change oil every 10k myself, just shocked, is it a d m f issue? Clutch f lywheel etc???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Is there any sound when you turn the key?
    If not there may be an electrical failure.

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭PANADOL

biko wrote: »
    Is there any sound when you turn the key?
    If not there may be an electrical failure.
    just a click like its truing to turn ,no engine is locked up, seized? 1k for engine fitted not bad I guess, maybe rebuild is a better option devil u know etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,516 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

What was the engine temperature reading when it happened?

What was the engine temperature reading when it happened?
    90 mid temp clock but have been to change thermostat as I know it was faulty

• Registered Users Posts: 2,223 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

Can you clip the cam/timing belt cover off and give it an eye ball?

• Advertisement

Can you clip the cam/timing belt cover off and give it an eye ball?
    will do but it had a cam belt change by vw 50km , my guess if it was the cam belt cover I would not have been able to drive it until I found a safe spot as I reved it the rattle died then when I tried to re start it its locked up, maybe dmf flywheel broke, ? Still shocked 24 hrs later

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

Did you try put it in gear and push the car to see if the engine is locked or not?

pablo128 wrote: »
    Did you try put it in gear and push the car to see if the engine is locked or not?

Ya put it in gear rocked car back and forth, also let it roll down hill let out the clutch she locked solid, wasnt ,burning, oil easy started loads of power, even when it started making noise at the traffic lights, I gad plenty of power to pull away, 2 mins before it ocked upI suspect its the flywheel???

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,221 ✭✭✭pablo128

PANADOL wrote: »
    Ya put it in gear rocked car back and forth, also let it roll down hill let out the clutch she locked solid, wasnt ,burning, oil easy started loads of power, even when it started making noise at the traffic lights, I gad plenty of power to pull away, 2 mins before it ocked upI suspect its the flywheel???

It doesn't sound good. Is it a 2.0 tdi? I think there was an issue with the oil pump failing on some of those engines.

pablo128 wrote: »
    It doesn't sound good. Is it a 2.0 tdi? I think there was an issue with the oil pump failing on some of those engines.
    Bkc 1.9 tdi

• Advertisement
Advertisement