Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bike via Parcel Motel

Options
  • 19-08-2016 9:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭

I was wondering if anyone got a bike delivery to the NI parcel motel depot recently and if so, what was the cost? There is no specific costs on the site regarding bikes but they highlight TVs, etc. and I've asked from for a quote but not heard back yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,443 ✭✭✭TheBlaaMan

I've used them for a few frames, but not full bikes. Cost was €20-25 or thereabouts

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

They have a whole section on Oversized and/or Overweight Parcels:
    https://parcelmotel.zendesk.com/hc/en-us/sections/200752462-Oversized-and-or-Overweight-Parcels
    Parcel Motel will classify a parcel as oversized if the parcel does not fit in the Parcel Motel with max dimensions of 41 x 38 x 64cm or overweight if it actual or dimensional weight is greater than 10kg.

even have a price calculator:
    https://my.parcelmotel.com/Member/PriceCalculator

• Registered Users Posts: 1,985 ✭✭✭aFlabbyPanda

Yes I saw that but I've no idea how big the box will be

• Registered Users Posts: 6,236 ✭✭✭Idleater

Yes I saw that but I've no idea how big the box will be

Using 25*90*120, which is what I guess the dimensions of the box my frame came in without going out in the rain, is €35

105€ from NI depot in cork which seems a bit expensive to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Try ring them up.

I doubt they'd be averse to money especially if you made a case that this could encourage others to use them for similar jobs :)

They do everything via their online system/chat thing and that was the price I was quoted. Going to try deliverme.ie and see if there is much increase over the 25€ rate they advertise.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

I've had a couple of bikes and frames delivered by them. Never paid anything over €40. It was so time ago and they've upped the prices on large boxes by recent reports.

• Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but do note that by default your parcel is only covered to a value of 100eu with parcelmotel (assume similar for other similar services). You need to pay for extra cover for more expensive items. Can't remember cost and level insured but worth checking out.

rtmie wrote:
    Sorry if I'm stating the obvious but do note that by default your parcel is only covered to a value of 100eu with parcelmotel (assume similar for other similar services). You need to pay for extra cover for more expensive items. Can't remember cost and level insured but worth checking out.

You can purchase extra liability up to 1500 for 10euro for 14 days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 501 ✭✭✭rtmie

rtmie wrote:

You can purchase extra liability up to 1500 for 10euro for 14 days.

Couldn't remember exact numbers. Figured you would have already checked it out but thought best to mention it just in case.

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭Weyhey

Just wondering if anyone was lucky getting their bike shipped from the UK and what did it cost in the end?

I contacted Deliverme who I used before for garden furniture and were great but they don't have any insurance for their service so I was reluctant to use them for a bike.

Weyhey wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone was lucky getting their bike shipped from the UK and what did it cost in the end?

I contacted Deliverme who I used before for garden furniture and were great but they don't have any insurance for their service so I was reluctant to use them for a bike.

I ended up going with deliverme.ie again, and they used DPD which was great as I could collect the bike from nearby. I took the risk as deliverme.ie only cover for 100 sterling (or is it even 100e) and my bike was cheap. Bike cost me 190e including all delivery charges, if I had to buy it in Ireland from the suppliers here would cost me 535e which is total rip off.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

Weyhey wrote: »
    I ended up going with deliverme.ie again, and they used DPD which was great as I could collect the bike from nearby. I took the risk as deliverme.ie only cover for 100 sterling (or is it even 100e) and my bike was cheap. Bike cost me 190e including all delivery charges, if I had to buy it in Ireland from the suppliers here would cost me 535e which is total rip off.

deliverme.ie told me last week that they don't forward bikes anymore.

mathie wrote: »
    deliverme.ie told me last week that they don't forward bikes anymore.

Opps. That is a big shame. Mine was two weeks ago and at the time it was fine as long as it wasn't above 15kg.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,574 Mod ✭✭✭✭CramCycle

I got mine via Parcel Motel before. They asked for 90euro I think. It was a tight month and rang them up and said the best I could do was 40. In the end they gave it to me for 50 I think. Had to do without biscuits until payday though.

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭rodneyTrotter.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,099 ✭✭✭mathie

What are people using these days?
    Looking to get a bike from Sports Direct
    Thanks

Advertisement