Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

90s MTV ad

Options
  • 19-08-2016 5:06pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭

This.

But here's the thing, I'm 99% sure that I saw this with Placebo's Nancy Boy instead of T-Rex. So much so that I actually thought this was the video for Nancy Boy, and not the weird melty heads one they actually use. Am I imagining things? I was high on alcopops for most of the decade.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,495 ✭✭✭✭Billy86

Maybe they had a different song on it in the US? Because that's one of the most recognisable ads of my adolescence and it 100% was Nancy Boy used in it.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,628 ✭✭✭darkdubh

You're not imagining things,I remember that Placebo track being used in it too.This is the video for Nancy Boy.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,850 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Suspect the Placebo track wouldn't have been particularly big in the states. The idea of the outcast/proto-goth listening to T-Rex is rather odd though - Dad era music by then albeit not dad-rock.

L1011 wrote: »
    Suspect the Placebo track wouldn't have been particularly big in the states. The idea of the outcast/proto-goth listening to T-Rex is rather odd though - Dad era music by then albeit not dad-rock.

Looks like that's it, weird. I always had it in my head they made a bit of a dint in the US market since this was when Smashing Pumpkins, NIN, etc were not quite mainstream but recognised by them (if that makes sense :p).

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Placebo_discography

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Ad is very weird without the Placebo song.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,475 ✭✭✭corblimey

Danonino. wrote: »
    Ad is very weird without the Placebo song.

And also impossible to find online. I suppose you could play this one with the sound turned down and Nancy Boy playing on a different tab :p

• Registered Users Posts: 1 reyesprince

also 99% sure like OP

• Registered Users Posts: 1,112 ✭✭✭Danonino.

Nah it 100% was without a doubt Nancy Boy used, at least on MTV shown here. If this turns out to be one of those Mandela Effect things I'll finally believe there's something to all those tinfoil hat wearing netball conspiracies ha ha

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,488 ✭✭✭mahoganygas

Ahhh good memories.

Beavis and Butthead. Re-runs of MTV unplugged. Leaving MTV on in the background while drinking cans with your mates. Zane Lowe. The Tom Green Show.

Then the reality shows arrived. Uggggghhhhh.

Ahhh good memories.

Beavis and Butthead. Re-runs of MTV unplugged. Leaving MTV on in the background while drinking cans with your mates. Zane Lowe. The Tom Green Show.

Then the reality shows arrived. Uggggghhhhh.
    Yes to Zane Lowe! Got tonnes and tonnes of music off him I'd have never come across otherwise in the Napster era, when finding out about new bands online was still quite tricky. Funny thing is when rock music came back quite big around 2003-06 or so, most of them had been playing on Brand:New and Americana (that might have been on MTV2 or something though, can't remember) for years. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭LCD

I started watching the add without reading below & was singing Nancy Boy in my head! Haven't seen it in years & crazy how vivid the memories are

Advertisement