Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

LC subject advice help!

Options
  • 19-08-2016 4:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hey guys I'm currently about to go into sixth year and I'm studying (as well as English Irish Maths) physics, biology, construction and French. My question is with regard to French and keeping up a 7th subject in general. French is my worst and most hated subject I usually average around a c grade but I'm hoping to get around 480-530 points in my exams and I'm wondering is it worth keeping French up? I only consider it because of the added time I could spend on my other subjects, any help from people who have experience is much appreciated! Thanks guys.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,687 ✭✭✭✭Penny Tration

Before deciding to drop it, you should check the course requirements for any college you'd like to attend. A lot of courses require a pass in a language, I'm not 100% sure if Irish would be applicable as one.

Ultimately though, I'd keep it. You never know how your exams will go on the day, and it's essentially a back up in case you have an absolute disaster with one exam and desperately need the points that even a C in ordinary level French would bring.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,381 ✭✭✭✭rainbowtrout

Will you be applying to colleges/courses that require a foreign language as an entry requirement? if you are getting a C in it, you are doing OK, remember if the pressure is on later in the year you could take it at ordinary level to fulfill a language requirement for college entry and not cut off some options. It could also be a safety net if one of your other exams go badly on the day.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Jimbob994

Will you be applying to colleges/courses that require a foreign language as an entry requirement? if you are getting a C in it, you are doing OK, remember if the pressure is on later in the year you could take it at ordinary level to fulfill a language requirement for college entry and not cut off some options. It could also be a safety net if one of your other exams go badly on the day.

Thanks for your reply. I probably should have said this in my original post but anyway I'm not too worried about not meeting subject requirements as UL (my preferred choice) doesn't require a language and most other colleges don't require it for science and engineering course which I will almost certainly be doing one of. My main issue is knowing whether or not it's worth keeping up just for the sake of having another back up option if something goes horribly wrong with another exam but the problem with that is that I don't see myself messing up anything to the degree that it comes up worse than French and at the same time I'm spending time on it I could be using elsewhere. God I'm conflicted haha

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Could you drop to ordinary? For things like an Erasmus year, a second language is always worth having, even at a fairly basic level.
    Will your school just allow you drop it and not attend classes?

spurious wrote: »
    Could you drop to ordinary? For things like an Erasmus year, a second language is always worth having, even at a fairly basic level.
    Will your school just allow you drop it and not attend classes?

Thanks for the reply, I'm not hugely into the idea of doing an Erasmus year anyway. My problem with just dropping to pass is I'm still spending 4 hours a week in classes that could be better used elsewhere and since there's no actual pass class in my school everyone regardless of level is put in the same class and with a teacher as useless as mine the pass people get absolutely zero attention. I'm not even 100% sure your allowed drop it in my school as you said but if I was to do so I could always take it outside of school as a pass subject, thoughts? The one hour a week of grinds would be more beneficial than a full week of school French I'm sure

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,131 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I think you may still be sitting 4 hours in a classroom where you will not be taking the exam. The average school does not have the insurance cover to allow students sit in a room on their own while their 'real' class carries on elsewhere.

spurious wrote: »
    I think you may still be sitting 4 hours in a classroom where you will not be taking the exam. The average school does not have the insurance cover to allow students sit in a room on their own while their 'real' class carries on elsewhere.

I know students that do that for other classes they've dropped and even if I was to still remain in the class if I wasn't participating I could do my own work for other subjects during

Advertisement