Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Aviva Stadium will host 2016-17 Pro12 final

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Great stuff. Was going to go anyway regardless but this makes it a lot easier. Very disappointing that the Welsh don't seem interested in hosting the thing though.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

Good choice. I'd be fairly confident of a sellout.

It is hard for the Welsh to host it though. Yes the final is growing in importance but it isn't in a position to get remotely close to selling 76,000 tickets in Cardiff. The next option is the Liberty Stadium, but I think the Pro 12 are aiming higher than that now. From now on it will likely rotate between the Aviva, Murrayfield and eventually the Millenenium Stadium.

• Registered Users Posts: 188 ✭✭golfer555

molloyjh wrote: »
    Great stuff. Was going to go anyway regardless but this makes it a lot easier. Very disappointing that the Welsh don't seem interested in hosting the thing though.

I think it's a little too close to judgement day in April for them. They've really grown that day and it was over 60,000 this year, in the coming years they want sell outs.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,758 ✭✭✭✭bilston

golfer555 wrote: »

I think it's a little too close to judgement day in April for them. They've really grown that day and it was over 60,000 this year, in the coming years they want sell outs.

The problem is will 60,000+ turn up for a final that doesn't include a Welsh team.

Although I've just remembered that the Millenium is hosting the CL final in May, that is probably the major reason it has skipped Wales and gone back to Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

bilston wrote: »
    The problem is will 60,000+ turn up for a final that doesn't include a Welsh team.

Would they turn up to a final that did include a Welsh team?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional West Moderators Posts: 6,773 Mod ✭✭✭✭connemara man

I was hoping for Rome

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

The Welsh wouldn't use the Millennium; Liberty Stadium would be the likely venue.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,166 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zzippy

Thank God, it will save scrambling for hotels and ferry tickets when we get there again! Although Edinburgh was an epic trip... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,210 ✭✭✭ClanofLams

The Milennium Stadium is the only Welsh option. Hotels are part of the criteria and only Cardiff meets the standard. Unless Welsh interest in the pro 12 grows substantially or one of their teams becomes a power house they won't tender for it in the near future.

bilston wrote: »

Although I've just remembered that the Millenium is hosting the CL final in May, that is probably the major reason it has skipped Wales and gone back to Ireland.

According to some Welsh individuals on Twitter the real reason is the Irish conspiracy within the Pro12 to ensure the competition is run for Irelands benefit alone and deliberately screws the Welsh in particular.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,337 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Much like the Heineken Cup was run from Dublin and was all for the Irish teams benefit. The mind boggles sometimes.

• Registered Users Posts: 958 ✭✭✭ArmchairQB

According to some Welsh individuals on Twitter the real reason is the Irish conspiracy within the Pro12 to ensure the competition is run for Irelands benefit alone and deliberately screws the Welsh in particular.

Same people regularly see Elvis hanging around a chip shop in Cardiff😀

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,536 ✭✭✭former total

ClanofLams wrote: »
    The Milennium Stadium is the only Welsh option. Hotels are part of the criteria and only Cardiff meets the standard. Unless Welsh interest in the pro 12 grows substantially or one of their teams becomes a power house they won't tender for it in the near future.

Didn't know that. Rules Thomond out as well so.

• Registered Users Posts: 45,433 ✭✭✭✭thomond2006

The launch is on at the Aviva now. The Pro12 site seems to be down...possible revamp? It could do with one.

The launch is on at the Aviva now. The Pro12 site seems to be down...possible revamp? It could do with one.

It's back up and has been updated. Not all of it is working fully but it does look a lot fresher. Not liking the background image though. :(

It's back up and has been updated. Not all of it is working fully but it does look a lot fresher. Not liking the background image though. :(

It's still down for me.

• Subscribers Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

secured 2

seems to be selling fast

• Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭crisco10

sydthebeat wrote: »
    secured 2

seems to be selling fast

Really? I've done "best available" searches a few times this morning and kept getting same seats...which I don't like.

Waiting for seat picker to come back online again..

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Not mad about the fixtures list - difficult enough to figure out where one weekend ends and the next begins. But it's nice to see this site freshened up - it was badly needed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,061 ✭✭✭Uriel.

I particularly like the fact that George Clancy is a mere 18 days old

• Registered Users Posts: 17,075 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Uriel. wrote: »
    I particularly like the fact that George Clancy is a mere 18 days old

He's one of the few for whom they have all the details (albeit with that error). Most of them have blanks for most of their details.

Advertisement