Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shared webhosting allowing Flask / python / terminal access

Options
  • 19-08-2016 1:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 43

Howya Lads & Ladies,
    I'm working on some web dev using python and Flask. I'd like to host somewhere. The cheapes hosting on all the webhosting companies I've checked are shared and do not allow installation of flask or use of the terminal cmd line. I had expected shared webhosting to be partitioned into different vm's to allow people to do development? How else does one install frameworks or customise it to any extent?
    I'm new to this so comments or advice are very welcome. Is the only alternative if you want to muck around and experimentally develop to get a VPS or host locally and wake on LAN ?

Míle buíochas,
    MoleRat

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There are plenty of companies who offer a VPS for $5 a month and up, that's where I'd be looking. Unfortunately can't recommend any specific providers because of the ban on discussing hosting providers here.

Go Google virtual servers for developers

• Registered Users Posts: 43 MoleRat

oh....deadly. how'd i miss that?! slow out of the scratcher today. Thank you very much :)

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

Not sure if your a student, but there's Github's Student Developer Pack. It includes $50 in credit from one of the cloud hosting providers.

Unfortunately not, them days has passed :(

• Registered Users Posts: 895 ✭✭✭Dubba

You could use this promo code for $20 free credit (haven't tried it myself yet).

If your looking for tutorials on getting things set up, DO are great imo.

• Advertisement

Thanks a mil for that Dubba, very useful :)

Just an additional query - are you guys referring to any Irish companies offering VPS's ? I suppose I'm somewhat interested to keep my hosting in Ireland...

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

MoleRat wrote: »
    Just an additional query - are you guys referring to any Irish companies offering VPS's ? I suppose I'm somewhat interested to keep my hosting in Ireland...

Budget from about €15/€20 month for an Irish VPS or $5 and up for a non-Irish mega VPS provider.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,739 ✭✭✭mneylon

Howya Lads & Ladies,
    I'm working on some web dev using python and Flask. I'd like to host somewhere. The cheapes hosting on all the webhosting companies I've checked are shared and do not allow installation of flask or use of the terminal cmd line. I had expected shared webhosting to be partitioned into different vm's to allow people to do development? How else does one install frameworks or customise it to any extent?
    I'm new to this so comments or advice are very welcome. Is the only alternative if you want to muck around and experimentally develop to get a VPS or host locally and wake on LAN ?

Míle buíochas,
    MoleRat
    It's unlikely (though not impossible) that you'll find any shared hosting provider offering shell access.
    As others have mentioned, you'd need to get some kind of VPS / cloud VM if you want to shell access AND the ability to install stuff.

yeah, that seems about right. But yeah, i've found a super cheap vps located in France so happy out. Thanks guys and gals :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

yeah, that seems about right. But yeah, i've found a super cheap vps located in France so happy out. Thanks guys and gals :)

At which point I'm locking this as discussions around hosting companies are technically banned.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement