Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Carlow Charities

Options
  • 19-08-2016 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,246 ✭✭✭

What charities in and around Carlow are closest to you - Im looking to adopt a specific one for some fundraising but I would like it to be solely Carlow based.

I have the Delta center and SVDP carlow in mind but im wondering what peoples thoughts are on specifics and most worthy charities.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,593 ✭✭✭tommycahir

Alot of people I know have done fund raising for Eist in the past , might be worth looking at as a Cralow specific charity - http://eistcarlowcancersupport.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,543 ✭✭✭Thundercats Ho

In this day and age, it's sad to see that soup kitchens are still needed.
    They do great work, and are located at the castle in town.

https://www.facebook.com/stclareshospitality/

• Closed Accounts Posts: 817 ✭✭✭iano.p

We give to charity a few times a year birthdays christmas etc. And this is something we look into alot. The only one we go with now is eist but this christmas will be splitting it with the soup kitchen. I don't like the delta centre so don't anymore. Call into these place see how it works and what the money will do, they are more than happy to say or show you how it's spent. You can make your mind up then.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

For me, the soup kitchen in Graigue (though we could start a whole thread on if it is in Carlow or not) and what about the Saplings school for children with autism (see above re location)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ShellGoBang

Hi guys, St Clare's Hospitality Kitchen is in fact located in Carlow as it's before the bridge. If you're looking for info on how we fund our service, how we run & how donated money is used you can pop me an email on stclareshosp @eircom.net or call into me Tuesday's-Thursday's 9.30-3. Michelle, Manager.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭Nokia6230i

Having volunteered with SVDP in past in one of local conferences I wouldn't give to them if they were the only charity on earth; too many chancers & lack of audits regarding what they're giving to who & who they're giving what to (€16-€18 Bag of Coal & Bale/s of Briquettes every week/fortnight throughout the Autumn/Winter/Spring to people who're on Natural Gas anyone....!?) means the con artists cost those in genuine need that I dealt with on visitations.
    Yes that's the word used; it's the only charity allowed collect on church grounds; there's a prayer said at beginning & end of each meeting to St. Someone or Other....Padre Pio or someone beginning with an "O" maybe...Osanam or Ozanam?

That's the short version.

Re St. Clares Hospitality Kitchen I'm a tad ambiguous about it for similar reasons; it's great it's non-judgmental like SVDP but this leads to every Tom, Dick & Harry going in for a free dinner (and starter & dessert too on occasion when available) when they don't necessarily need one.

The types who've come from the bookies/offy/local hostelry and/or are going (back) to same after etc.

As with SVDP there are of course genuine cases; no doubts but the chancers who can't be turned away are literally taking the food out of their mouths on the 3 Days they're open for the 2.5/3 Hours or so.

For the genuine cases I do think the Hospitality Centre could be open at least 5 if not the 7 Days but as long as there's such a thing as a free dinner this will never be the case; wonder would the chancers be weeded out if everyone was asked to make a nominal, pithy contribution every day of say €1-€3 for their meal?

They'd still be getting "unrale" value for the quality & portions they receive but it might make one or two think twice?

For me it's Éist all day long for my donations of the 3 mentioned thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭7foot ginger

Nokia6230i wrote: »

Re St. Clares Hospitality Kitchen I'm a tad ambiguous about it for similar reasons; it's great it's non-judgmental like SVDP but this leads to every Tom, Dick & Harry going in for a free dinner (and starter & dessert too on occasion when available) when they don't necessarily need one.

The types who've come from the bookies/offy/local hostelry and/or are going (back) to same after etc.

As with SVDP there are of course genuine cases; no doubts but the chancers who can't be turned away are literally taking the food out of their mouths on the 3 Days they're open for the 2.5/3 Hours or so.

For the genuine cases I do think the Hospitality Centre could be open at least 5 if not the 7 Days but as long as there's such a thing as a free dinner this will never be the case; wonder would the chancers be weeded out if everyone was asked to make a nominal, pithy contribution every day of say €1-€3 for their meal?

They'd still be getting "unrale" value for the quality & portions they receive but it might make one or two think twice

Can I ask what involvement you have with St Clare's? Do you have any facts about who attends for a meal?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It has always been the case that chancers will take something free, for me, I'd prefer 10 chancers getting food than one genuine person going hungry.

Can I ask what involvement you have with St Clare's? Do you have any facts about who attends for a meal?

I am or have been a customer; wouldn't be a regular but there on occasion & have contributed into the donation box on exit; believe it only morally right to do so whether it be a pound, a couple of quid, a fiver whatever; either way you're getting, to use that most Carlow of phrases "Savage Value Lad!".
    Totally get byhookorbycrooks point. But my worry with St. Claires (& SVDP too given my direct experience) is that these chancers are costing genuine cases their free meal/lunch/dinner & that their nefariousness results in it currently only being open 3 Days Midweek from 12 Noon to 2:30pm (approx.) when it could be open for between 5 & 7 Days.

Genuinely think asking for donations of €1-€5 per customer isn't a lot to ask for to offset the cost of running the venue; you're still saving a fortune on making it yourself at home no matter how/where you get the ingredients not to mention going to one of the local hostelries or the 3rd Level Colleges to get similar in terms of quality and quantity & value.

It's the loaves & the fishes argument. The food donations (Food Cloud had been mooted; unsure if they've paired up; there are donation boxes/bins in Cathedral Parish Centre & the Church itself & obviously items can be dropped off at the Hospitality Kitchen also) can only be spread so far before the soup gets watered down so thinly it's like drinking raw sewage.

Until such audits are done I will be continuing my support of Eist over the other two charities mentioned.

N.B. There are other charities than these 3 that we seem to be currently focused on in Carlow town & county.

One last thing re St. Clares is you get 2 Tokens when you come in the door; one for the starters (Soup) & another for Main Course & you put them in respective bowls; I've never seen anyone return them to those who staff the door if they don't use one or the other.....might this result in over-estimating amount of service users?

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭7foot ginger

I am or have been a customer; wouldn't be a regular but there on occasion & have contributed into the donation box on exit; believe it only morally right to do so whether it be a pound, a couple of quid, a fiver whatever; either way you're getting, to use that most Carlow of phrases "Savage Value Lad!".
    Totally get byhookorbycrooks point. But my worry with St. Claires (& SVDP too given my direct experience) is that these chancers are costing genuine cases their free meal/lunch/dinner & that their nefariousness results in it currently only being open 3 Days Midweek from 12 Noon to 2:30pm (approx.) when it could be open for between 5 & 7 Days.

Genuinely think asking for donations of €1-€5 per customer isn't a lot to ask for to offset the cost of running the venue; you're still saving a fortune on making it yourself at home no matter how/where you get the ingredients not to mention going to one of the local hostelries or the 3rd Level Colleges to get similar in terms of quality and quantity & value.

It's the loaves & the fishes argument. The food donations (Food Cloud had been mooted; unsure if they've paired up; there are donation boxes/bins in Cathedral Parish Centre & the Church itself & obviously items can be dropped off at the Hospitality Kitchen also) can only be spread so far before the soup gets watered down so thinly it's like drinking raw sewage.

Until such audits are done I will be continuing my support of Eist over the other two charities mentioned.

N.B. There are other charities than these 3 that we seem to be currently focused on in Carlow town & county.

One last thing re St. Clares is you get 2 Tokens when you come in the door; one for the starters (Soup) & another for Main Course & you put them in respective bowls; I've never seen anyone return them to those who staff the door if they don't use one or the other.....might this result in over-estimating amount of service users?

So really you've only been there a few times. Not really a good reflection of the actual clientele of the kitchen. I do agree with byhookorbycrook people will chance their arms but there are people who genuinely need help. Telling people not to donate to them would only lead to this problem being exasperated rather than actually helping surely?

• Advertisement

As a teacher, I can tell you that many people put up a brave front, but may well be struggling. Don't take people at face value.

So really you've only been there a few times. Not really a good reflection of the actual clientele of the kitchen. I do agree with byhookorbycrook people will chance their arms but there are people who genuinely need help. Telling people not to donate to them would only lead to this problem being exasperated rather than actually helping surely?

I've been there on & off; perhaps to the point of often enough if that's ok? I wouldn't be a regular (daily) per se but go there at least once in every 6 Days.a fortnight (if not more!) that they're open; bear in mind they're open over a year now (May 2015) so that's long enough to observe the chancers that're literally taking the food out of other peoples mouths, people who are genuinely deserving.

If those chancers could be weeded out by imposing a modest, nominal charge as I said previously of €1-€5 (I.E. Maximum of €15 Weekly currently) then perhaps those genuine cases would be better served & St. Clares may be able open longer hours, perhaps for breakfasts/dinners/suppers and/or for more than its current 3 Days.

I'm not suggesting the OP or anyone else here doesn't give to St. Clares or indeed SVDP; I'm saying I wouldn't currently but I'd recommend Eist (who happen to be in same building).

Hope that clarifies things & as I also said there are plenty of other charities in Carlow than the 3 mentioned thus far.

• Registered Users Posts: 60,500 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

I only support two Charities for personal reasons RNLI and Irish Cancer Society.

I have to agree Charities will always be abused by the few and I have seen first hand having worked for a number of them over the years how far people will go to get something for free.

I hadn't know about Eist before this thread be honest and after looking into it I will be supporting it now when I have spare money to give to a Charity.

Issues with the some charities is people think they have an entitlement to get something off them.

The food kitchen stories reminds of the people who go to funerals of people they don't know so they can go to the afters to get the free food.

• Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭denis160

Carlow regional youth services does trojan work for young people from all backgrounds in carlow town & county. It's services are offered throughout the area in the form of afterschools, summer camps, drop in centres, counselling, sporting activities and a tonne of other stuff. Well worth considering & any form of donations or support they receive goes directly into working with young people. You could even drop into them to see what work they do directly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

I wouldn't support the Irish Cancer society or any charity associated with them so that rules Eist out but there is always the Carlow/Kilkenny Home Care Team Which provided much needed services for people with cancer and their families in their own homes.

• Registered Users Posts: 329 ✭✭Be well and win

it's the only charity allowed collect on church grounds; there's a prayer said at beginning & end of each meeting to St. Someone or Other....Padre Pio or someone beginning with an "O" maybe...Osanam or Ozanam?

QUOTE]

This is actually incorrect. Plenty of charities are allowed to collect on church grounds, there is hardly a Sunday in Asca when you don't see someone outside the door with a bucket and they've ranged from Cancer charities to sports clubs. There are also collections within the church at mass for the likes of Goal and of course the Lenten collections for Concern.

The prayers by the way is for the cannonisation of Father Frederic Ozanam, one of the founders, he's not a saint yet, just "Blessed"

I'm not defending the SVDP by the way, personally I find it full of too many "aul wans" from around town who are far too interested in people's business

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,373 ✭✭✭✭foggy_lad

it's the only charity allowed collect on church grounds; there's a prayer said at beginning & end of each meeting to St. Someone or Other....Padre Pio or someone beginning with an "O" maybe...Osanam or Ozanam?

QUOTE]

This is actually incorrect. Plenty of charities are allowed to collect on church grounds, there is hardly a Sunday in Asca when you don't see someone outside the door with a bucket and they've ranged from Cancer charities to sports clubs. There are also collections within the church at mass for the likes of Goal and of course the Lenten collections for Concern.

The prayers by the way is for the cannonisation of Father Frederic Ozanam, one of the founders, he's not a saint yet, just "Blessed"

I'm not defending the SVDP by the way, personally I find it full of too many "aul wans" from around town who are far too interested in people's business

There is a StVdeP box at the back of almost every Catholic Church in the country! No other group are allowed collect inside the church.

foggy_lad wrote: »

There is a StVdeP box at the back of almost every Catholic Church in the country! No other group are allowed collect inside the church.

They are a catholic charity so why shouldn't they have a box inside the church?. Secondly it is factually incorrect to say that no other group are allowed collect inside the church. Trocaire do it every year at Lent (via Trocaire boxes) and in recent years I can also recall specific church collections for Goal during mass. Furthermore the parish centres are used by a wide variety of groups for things like coffee mornings and other fund raising activities.

foggy_lad wrote: »

They are a catholic charity so why shouldn't they have a box inside the church?. Secondly it is factually incorrect to say that no other group are allowed collect inside the church. Trocaire do it every year at Lent (via Trocaire boxes) and in recent years I can also recall specific church collections for Goal during mass. Furthermore the parish centres are used by a wide variety of groups for things like coffee mornings and other fund raising activities.

Well I've never seen any charity collecting INSIDE THE GATES OR ON THE GROUNDS of Carlow Cathedral in all my time living in the town & I'm here 6+ years & pass by most Saturday & Sunday nights at Mass time & have a vague memory of being told by my conference at the time that "we" were the only charity allowed collect on the church grounds.

Trocaire boxes are left at back of church for collection by parishioners/the congregation; there's a serious difference between that & collecting on church grounds like SVDP do at all Masses 1st W/End of every month.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,461 ✭✭✭Queen-Mise

Nokia6230i wrote:
    Having volunteered with SVDP in past in one of local conferences I wouldn't give to them if they were the only charity on earth; too many chancers & lack of audits regarding what they're giving to who & who they're giving what to (€16-€18 Bag of Coal & Bale/s of Briquettes every week/fortnight throughout the Autumn/Winter/Spring to people who're on Natural Gas anyone....!?) means the con artists cost those in genuine need that I dealt with on visitations. Yes that's the word used; it's the only charity allowed collect on church grounds; there's a prayer said at beginning & end of each meeting to St. Someone or Other....Padre Pio or someone beginning with an "O" maybe...Osanam or Ozanam?

That is just a nasty post on SVDP.

SVDP is a Catholic charity, each conference is linked to a parish, hence collecting at church gate's once a month. Blessed Frederic Ozanam was the founder of SVDP therefore prayers are partly said to him. Important to point out help is obviously not just limited to Catholics.
    It is expected from SVDP that each conference raises majority of their own money that they spend, hence collections.

By virtue of fact of who the organization helps unfortunately chancers are a percentage of those who ask for help; whether because of alcoholism, addictions, or the entitled. That is why home visits are an integral part of volunteering. Home visits are also required in some conferences for coal.

To highlight the chancers is too gloss over and minimize the incredible work the organization does. SVDP keeps food, heating, and electric in people's homes. It is there to help people at their lowest point, not to pick them up, but to stop them from sinking. Its role is not to replace or supplement social welfare system.

• Advertisement

Well I've never seen any charity collecting INSIDE THE GATES OR ON THE GROUNDS of Carlow Cathedral in all my time living in the town & I'm here 6+ years & pass by most Saturday & Sunday nights at Mass time & have a vague memory of being told by my conference at the time that "we" were the only charity allowed collect on the church grounds.

Trocaire boxes are left at back of church for collection by parishioners/the congregation; there's a serious difference between that & collecting on church grounds like SVDP do at all Masses 1st W/End of every month.

No but you've probably seen plenty of charities and organisations collecting at the gates. What difference does it make whether they are inside the gate or 6 inches outside it? They are still supposed to have the churches permission to be there.
    Secondly, and I'm speaking as someone who has gone inside the church at mass time, there have been collections in the past for charities at mass, for example, I recall one for Goal at the time of a natural disaster at the time.
    If you also walk 50 yards up the road, there are plenty of coffee mornings and cake sales for various charitable organisations in the parish centre.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,366 ✭✭✭corner of hells

MQI have a detox called St. Francis Farm just outside Tullow.
    Have a look at the website to see if they interest you.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,273 ✭✭✭racso1975

Carlow Rape Crisis Centre. The amount of secondary and third level education they do in the county is unreal added to this the amount of emergency interventions is scary. They also provide a huge amount of ancillary services and have huge problems getting people to volunteer for them due to the anxiety people have that they may be judged to have used the service etc.

Advertisement