Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Failed two Leaving cert subjects.

Options
  • 19-08-2016 9:36am
    Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭

Hi, I'm wondering if anyone can advise. MY son just sat the leaving cert and failed 2 subjects, Higher level English and Higher level Phys/Chem. He wants to do sports and leisure Management but didn't get near enough points. He had also applied for a PLC course but I presume these are out the window now also?
    I just dont know what the process is. I've emailed the PLC course for information but they haven't answered me yet..I understand they are really busy at the moment. The thing is we have an appointment for Monday to see a school about repeating the leaving. If he could even get the PLC course without repeating the leaving it would be great...hes very bright but is not academic... An advice?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Some PLC courses look for the Leaving Cert as an entry requirement. You are normally considered to have a Leaving Cert if you have passed 5 subjects. So failing English and Phys/Chem would not be a problem if your son did 7 subjects. If he got an E at higher level, then some colleges will accept that as a pass because it is at higher level but he won't get points for that (there will be points for an E at higher level from next year onwards but that's not much good to your son this year).

While lots of courses look for a pass in English, some will accept a pass in Irish instead.

You should look up the CAO vacant courses list on Tuesday and there may be a sports course there that your son can apply for.

You might find the PLC course your son is interested in on www.qualifax.ie and the entry requirements should be listed.

Repeating the Leaving Cert is not a bad option either. Lots of students do it

• Registered Users Posts: 657 ✭✭✭tracey turnblad

Yes he passed 5 subjects and got an E in both higher level subjects. Do the PLC courses contact you or do you contact them? And when do they contact you?

I just rang the PLC course college they have advised us to come over and speak with them on monday morning.

Thanks for your advice. We went to the Plc college today and spoke to the career guidance counsellor who told my son she would allow him to do a level 6 course in sports management . He is delighted and relieved. Thanks again for your advise otherwise I wouldn't have rang the Plc college.

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

Brilliant. Thanks for letting me know. It's great he has found something he is interested in. Best of luck for the future.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Bryan Boru

Dear Tracey
    It's an awful experience to fail the LC but although I didn't fail it - I didn't do well enough to study what I wanted at university.
    Please stay calm. What's another year - as Johnny Logan used to say

Advertisement