Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

VW genuine parts look up

Options
  • 19-08-2016 12:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 17

Hi. Does anyone know where to look up genuine vw car parts online referencing by the vin or chassis number?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭irishfire

I have the official parts catalogue, if you let me know what you need I can look it up?

VW don't go mad on VIN numbers, the 7th/8th characters define a chassis type and that's enough to load up the vehicle diagrams.

There is an online public version although it's not official and doesn't recognise EU/Rest Of World VIN numbers

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Snoggums

I too have been looking for the official parts catalogue. My usual problem is with shock absorber sizes and was looking for something to look up guide me to avoid getting out two types.

I too have been looking for the official parts catalogue. My usual problem is with measuring shock absorber sizes and was I looking for something to guide me to avoid getting out two size types.

I too have been looking for the official parts catalogue. My usual problem is with measuring shock absorber sizes. Therefore looking for something to guide me to avoid getting out two size types.

Okey you have 2 options so:
    A) call into a VW dealers and ask them to look up the parts you need (most will if you ask nicely)
    B) send me on your VIN and a picture of the page of your service book with the sticker on it. This sticker has the production codes relevant to your car which will distinguish different parts on the catalogue, even if you get a parts catalogue you will need these as only dealers have access to the VIN based lookup of production codes.

Also you do realise there is no paper catalogue? Completely electronic now and over 6 Gb iirc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

It's not just dealers that have access to VIN based lookup. Lots of independent garages can do the same. We certainly can.

It's not just dealers that have access to VIN based lookup. Lots of independent garages can do the same. We certainly can.

I'm talking about the PR codes for each specific vehicle, not just the chassis code. Last time I looked into it non VW garages could only do a basic query giving the basic spec back, but without the full PR code listing. More than likely could have changed since that though.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I know what you meant. We can access all PR codes from the VIN and also identify specific part numbers for any part on the car. Basically the same info that the dealer can provide.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

I understand why you'd want a parts directory. I use ToyoDIY for anything I need as my local Toyota parts guy couldn't find his own underpants.. was in there one day for a handbrake component, for 15 minutes, got fed up, took out my phone and found it in 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Vagcat.com is a great source of vw/audi/seat parts. Online catalogue & forum. You will need to register to view the catalogue though.

• Advertisement

I know what you meant. We can access all PR codes from the VIN and also identify specific part numbers for any part on the car. Basically the same info that the dealer can provide.

Apologies, I didn't realise VW had opened that up to thirty party garages!

Advertisement