Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Planning divorce but married abroad

Options
  • 18-08-2016 8:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭

I've been married to my wife for 6 years and we have a 3 year old daughter. Unfortunately, our relationship is really on the ropes, and we're together for our daughter.

My wife is from South Korea and we signed a marriage certificate there. It may be easier for us to divorce under Korean law than Irish, but I don't know what's involved yet. My wife has an F4 visa and is not an Irish citizen. Things are complicated when thinking about assets, we are both mortgage holders on our house and she put in some money from her inheritance, but I have been the sole earner since our marriage. We will both obviously fight for custody, but she will definitely move back to Korea if we divorce, meaning one of us will rarely see our daughter.

I probably need to find a solicitor who understands Korean law, but I wonder how messy this could get if we do divorce.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭LastStop

JohnP-6723 wrote: »
    I've been married to my wife for 6 years and we have a 3 year old daughter. Unfortunately, our relationship is really on the ropes, and we're together for our daughter.

My wife is from South Korea and we signed a marriage certificate there. It may be easier for us to divorce under Korean law than Irish, but I don't know what's involved yet. My wife has an F4 visa and is not an Irish citizen. Things are complicated when thinking about assets, we are both mortgage holders on our house and she put in some money from her inheritance, but I have been the sole earner since our marriage. We will both obviously fight for custody, but she will definitely move back to Korea if we divorce, meaning one of us will rarely see our daughter.

I probably need to find a solicitor who understands Korean law, but I wonder how messy this could get if we do divorce.

http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/birth_family_relationships/separation_and_divorce/divorce_decrees.html#l1f4da

Go down a bit and read about foreign divorce being recognised in Ireland. Unless your wife up and moves back their first. Otherwise you're in the same boat as me.

Advertisement