Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

I'm a new player, are these boots suitable? Also looking for some general advice.

Options
  • 18-08-2016 3:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭

Images here: http://imgur.com/a/36Rhq

I'm just starting out, joining a club with a friend next week, and I'm unsure about these boots I've got. Will these boots suit Rugby well or would they be more of a football boot? They were advertised as a rugby boot, but most of the rugby boots I see around are of the more traditional 8 stud boots like this: http://images.sportsdirect.com/images/imgzoom/14/14100340_xxl.jpg

Would I be better off with a pair like that or should these be good enough? They are comfortable, but if They're not good for the game I'd like to return them before I use them and lose the chance.

Also, as a side note, if anyone has advice for a beginner I would appreciate hearing it. Like do I need to have an understanding of the game and a high level of fitness before joining training, or is it acceptable to come in as a pure beginner? Also regarding other kit. Do I need to show up to training with a full kit? Is there certain kit I should get? Maybe nobody would care and I'm overthinking, but I'd rather not show up unprepared and look like a fool.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,540 ✭✭✭blackwhite

firstprime wrote: »

I'm just starting out, joining a club with a friend next week, and I'm unsure about these boots I've got. Will these boots suit Rugby well or would they be more of a football boot? They were advertised as a rugby boot, but most of the rugby boots I see around are of the more traditional 8 stud boots like this: http://images.sportsdirect.com/images/imgzoom/14/14100340_xxl.jpg

Would I be better off with a pair like that or should these be good enough? They are comfortable, but if They're not good for the game I'd like to return them before I use them and lose the chance.

Also, as a side note, if anyone has advice for a beginner I would appreciate hearing it. Like do I need to have an understanding of the game and a high level of fitness before joining training, or is it acceptable to come in as a pure beginner? Also regarding other kit. Do I need to show up to training with a full kit? Is there certain kit I should get? Maybe nobody would care and I'm overthinking, but I'd rather not show up unprepared and look like a fool.

Do you think you'll be playing as a forward or a back? In the forwards you'd be much better off with the 8 studs for better grip when scrummaging/mauling/etc; but as a back then they'd be fine.

If you're based in Dublin, most clubs will have teams in the lower divisions of Metro leagues that are perfectly suited for a beginner, and most of those teams will have 1/2 novices every year.

For training, you generally need to bring all yourself - i.e. a jersey, shorts, socks, boots, gumshield. If its wet, then a training top is always good.
    Make sure to bring a towel and change of jocks as well :D

Just as a tip that's in no way based in prior experience :o - I'd recommend proper rugby shorts as an essential - lighter soccer/gaa/running shorts don't always hold up that well when being tackled :pac:

• Subscribers Posts: 41,095 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

ill divert to actual referees to answer this.... but i would think those triagular studs would be deemed illegal and in contravention of regulation 12

the edge profile isnt rounded.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Where are you going to be playing? Have you any experience of the game before in terms of supporting? Family who played? Where are you based?
    If in Dublin have a look in this thread for info on clubs/competitions etc http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057625016

I would just get plain boots like your 2nd pair but it will depend on where you are playing. What age OP as that will be help about giving advice....

• Registered Users Posts: 80 ✭✭firstprime

blackwhite wrote: »
    Do you think you'll be playing as a forward or a back? In the forwards you'd be much better off with the 8 studs for better grip when scrummaging/mauling/etc; but as a back then they'd be fine.

If you're based in Dublin, most clubs will have teams in the lower divisions of Metro leagues that are perfectly suited for a beginner, and most of those teams will have 1/2 novices every year.

For training, you generally need to bring all yourself - i.e. a jersey, shorts, socks, boots, gumshield. If its wet, then a training top is always good.
    Make sure to bring a towel and change of jocks as well :D

Just as a tip that's in no way based in prior experience :o - I'd recommend proper rugby shorts as an essential - lighter soccer/gaa/running shorts don't always hold up that well when being tackled :pac:

Thanks for the advice! I have no experience and no preference when it comes to position. I was hoping I could just jump in somewhere and get a bit of experience until find out what position I fit best. Do you think that's okay or should I be going in with a specific position in mind?
    sydthebeat wrote: »
    ill divert to actual referees to answer this.... but i would think those triagular studs would be deemed illegal and in contravention of regulation 12

the edge profile isnt rounded.

Damn, really? I'd love to hear if anyone can confirm that. These were advertised and sold specifically as rugby boots, so I'd be fairly annoyed if they were deemed illegal.
    Where are you going to be playing? Have you any experience of the game before in terms of supporting? Family who played? Where are you based?
    If in Dublin have a look in this thread for info on clubs/competitions etc http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057625016

I would just get plain boots like your 2nd pair but it will depend on where you are playing. What age OP as that will be help about giving advice....

As I mentioned above I have no experience at all, and no real preference of position. I'd like to give it a go and see where I best fit if that was possible. I've followed professional rugby passively on occasion, but I'm more interested in playing than watching. If you think it would be best to read up on the technical aspects of the game before joining then I'd be up for it. I'm based in Wexford currently and I'm 22. Thanks.

From what I've heard here I think I'll probably see if I can change the boots anyway.

• Administrators Posts: 53,443 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

What size are you? Are you fast?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks for the advice! I have no experience and no preference when it comes to position. I was hoping I could just jump in somewhere and get a bit of experience until find out what position I fit best. Do you think that's okay or should I be going in with a specific position in mind?

Damn, really? I'd love to hear if anyone can confirm that. These were advertised and sold specifically as rugby boots, so I'd be fairly annoyed if they were deemed illegal.

As I mentioned above I have no experience at all, and no real preference of position. I'd like to give it a go and see where I best fit if that was possible. I've followed professional rugby passively on occasion, but I'm more interested in playing than watching. If you think it would be best to read up on the technical aspects of the game before joining then I'd be up for it. I'm based in Wexford currently and I'm 22. Thanks.

From what I've heard here I think I'll probably see if I can change the boots anyway.

There was a great guide to rugby done for the World Cup if you have a search
    Also your height and size will usually determined where you will play the big bulky guys are in the pack and from 9-15 tend to be the slighter guys

awec wrote: »
    What size are you? Are you fast?

6'2" 190lbs, not particularly fast.
    Stheno wrote: »
    There was a great guide to rugby done for the World Cup if you have a search
    Also your height and size will usually determined where you will play the big bulky guys are in the pack and from 9-15 tend to be the slighter guys

Thanks, I'll have a look for that. I'm 6'2" but not very bulky, I think I'd need to train to really fit into either category, but I think I'd probably err more towards playing forward.

I suppose what I'm really looking for here is, do I need to really know my stuff and be ready to go from the outset or is it okay to just show up and say "I want to play rugby, put me wherever suits and I'll learn as I go". I have no problem working hard and learning the game, but I really don't want to show up unprepared and look like an arse.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Thanks, I'll have a look for that. I'm 6'2" but not very bulky, I think I'd need to train to really fit into either category, but I think I'd probably err more towards playing forward.

I suppose what I'm really looking for here is, do I need to really know my stuff and be ready to go from the outset or is it okay to just show up and say "I want to play rugby, put me wherever suits and I'll learn as I go". I have no problem working hard and learning the game, but I really don't want to show up unprepared and look like an arse.
    I'd be more concerned about being fit enough to run etc rather than the technical side, you'll be taught that

Stheno wrote: »
    I'd be more concerned about being fit enough to run etc rather than the technical side, you'll be taught that

I'd say I'm at average fitness currently, maybe a bit lower but working on improving. Would you advise to take some time to just work on fitness and endurance before starting rugby training?

• Moderators, Arts Moderators Posts: 35,185 Mod ✭✭✭✭pickarooney

Don't worry about positions or size or equipment. Any decent boots will do and a hard wearing shorts and Jersey, socks and gumshield will get you started. You'll be learning the very basics of passing, tackling, positioning for the first while and will probably get a chance to play everywhere except the front row and half back to see what suits you. Watch and listen carefully and you'll get into it in no time.
    Best of luck.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,601 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

They're the Adidas approved triangular studs, made for rugby players - Dan Carter wears them, so don't worry about the ref. They're the new version of the yellow boots virtually all the pros wore last year and will be the most popular rugby boot this season by far if last year is anything to go by.

My advice with those is tighten the hell out of the studs every month, becuase you'll lose them and it's 14 quid for a new pack, and only Adidas ones will fit.

For the record, they're this seasons version of these.

http://media.northgame.co.uk/core/images/products/large/2015_Adidas_AW15_Incurza_Elite_SG_Rugby_Boots_-_Yellow_Black.jpg

I'd say I'm at average fitness currently, maybe a bit lower but working on improving. Would you advise to take some time to just work on fitness and endurance before starting rugby training?

There'll be a mix of fitness on any team that takes beginners. Don't be too worried about it! The training will be designed with the lads who hasn't done a tap since last season in mind as well:D

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

Yeah just work on the fitness and you'll be fine. If you haven't any experience I would try get as much rugby training as possible in as that's trickier than basic fitness work to get a handle of.
    That's fine and probably better for you in long term
    Based in Wexford there will be clubs with several junior clubs competing in the leinster qualifying leagues who will all have more social sides for players like yourself. Use the below club finder to help find most suitable club in terms of distance from you...
    http://www.leinsterrugby.ie/domestic/club_finder.php

Just turn up. Don't worry about knowing the laws, rules etc as that wont be an issue

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Some referees may object to the blades, some won't it's a bit of a lottery. Also the second pair you linked would provide more protection for the foot. You will get stood on at some point, it's unavoidable. The first pair would be good for training before the pitches soften up, but not sure if I'd use them for playing.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Some referees may object to the blades, some won't it's a bit of a lottery. Also the second pair you linked would provide more protection for the foot. You will get stood on at some point, it's unavoidable. The first pair would be good for training before the pitches soften up, but not sure if I'd use them for playing.

They'd be fine for a back - comfortable for standing around watching the forwards in :D

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

blackwhite wrote: »
    They'd be fine for a back - comfortable for standing around watching the forwards in :D

Have you not been introduced to modern rugby, when it's all about resourcing rucks, even for the girls. ;)

Advertisement