Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asus Sales & Support? Best laptop brand for service?

Options
  • 18-08-2016 3:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38

Hi guys. Another post - my questions are evolving as information comes in.

Looking at Asus now - the seem to get good reviews. Can anybody say based on experience if the Zenbook Pro is reliable?

I can't seem to find anybody with more than the mid range models on display. (the usual retailers) Does anybody operate a showroom where it's possible to actually handle the product?

Asus service and support seems to come from the UK, and to be provided by a third party. Is it effective/efficient?

Any standouts making good similar business class Windows laptops that offer very good service?

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I have had dealings with Asus support years back, and my experience wasn't fantastic. But this was back in the EEE PC days, so things are probably different now.

Either way, I would want to deal with the company you bought off rather than the manufacturer directly. But I guess that depends where you buy.

Asus are a reliable brand, I've had my Asus machine for nearly 4 years now and it has proved reliable. It was a mid-high range Zenbook.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ondablade

Thanks again A, you're more than doing your share of the lifting here.

Good to hear that the Zenbook has been reliable. They look really nice - more or less a MacBook but with extra oomph and running Windows.

The bits I'm picking up suggest Asus service isn't bad - but it's very hard to know. Going through a third party doing a decent volume of business makes a lot of sense all right - they at least should have enough clout to get a response.

A good on line UK supplier might make sense too - even Amazon.

The downside is that the retailers here seem quite a lot more expensive - and they tend not to stock the higher end models. There's a few irish on line stores too - although once you go on line it in some respects (ability to drop in etc) might as well be anywhere. At least you can get at an Irish company locally if the worst comes to the worst, and it's nice to support the home team.

Decisions decisions...

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Just glad to help!

Amazon.co.uk have some of the best customer support in the business, but it's worth mentioning that you will only be able to claim for warranty issues, or problems that occur for some issue in the build/manufacturing of the laptop. If you drop it, you're on your own.

Dell however, offer warranties that cover all eventualities (or a lot of them at least!). So it's worth weighing up what you need from this cover.

But Asus are good, they are a very well established brand and do make Macbook like machines. That was one of the reasons I bought mine. Just do your homework looking at reviews for specific machines to make sure you know what you'll be getting!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,726 ✭✭✭qwertz

Same as above, I had a minor issue with my Asus laptop some year back. IIRC, back then the support was outsourced to some UK company rather than ASUS doing it themselves. They weren't exactly unhelpful but when compared to Amazon there was a lot to be desired.

My laptop is almost five years old now and so far so good. I would consider getting another ASUS over a lot of the other manufacturers, mainly because their gaming range is very quiet due to their design. Might not suit everybody but I use it as a desktop replacement so the way it looks is secondary.

• Registered Users Posts: 38 ondablade

Thanks Q. I'm more or less decided to go for a ZenBook pro. I've also had a lot from Amazon with never a hitch, although I've never run into a problem with product from them either.

I guess if you buy from a third party like Amazon that's got some clout there's always the option to go direct to the manufacturer anyway...

• Advertisement
Advertisement