Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Entry requirements

Options
  • 18-08-2016 8:11am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭

Hi Folks, just a quick question re. entry for a course and bear with me please as I'm new to all this. My son has got enough points for his chosen course (the celebrations and relief were mighty) but now he's noticed that the "entry requirements" look for 2 subjects HC3 or better but he's only got 1, the other two subjects he got D1's. I'm more than likely grasping at straws her but is this entry requierment set in stone? I understood all along it was about getting the points. I'm gutted for him as he's worked hard and did his best to get the points he needed.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,343 ✭✭✭✭callaway92

WIT are so lenient that there should be no issues. They are crying out for more students to attend so I can't see them refusing entry, however it may mean that your child might struggle in the course if he wasn't to the 'wanted' standard. Contact the course leader and have a chat with them. What course is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,393 ✭✭✭Comerman

Marketing and Digital Media I contacted the college and they said rules are rules :eek: he still has the second choice, however that works :rolleyes:

Comerman wrote: »
    Marketing and Digital Media I contacted the college and they said rules are rules :eek: he still has the second choice, however that works :rolleyes:

Wow, the course leader of that course is pretty much as bang on as you can get. Did you contact him? It's a great course, so I really would try to push to get it.

callaway92 wrote: »
    Wow, the course leader of that course is pretty much as bang on as you can get. Did you contact him? It's a great course, so I really would try to push to get it.
    I emailed Dennis as per the website but got a reply from Mary someone.

Comerman wrote: »
    I emailed Dennis as per the website but got a reply from Mary someone.

I guarantee if you got to speak with him you'd be sorted out.

I can't think of any Mary in charge of the course. She's probably just in the office and going 'by the books' so to speak.

It's a great course which I really would try to get into. It set me up well for my future anyway and most people from my course are already in pretty good jobs.

• Advertisement

Mary Daly was the ladys name. We may wait until Monday anyway to see what happens anyway, how would we go about locating Denis then???

• Registered Users Posts: 2,773 ✭✭✭taytobreath

I guarantee if you got to speak with him you'd be sorted out.

I can't think of any Mary in charge of the course. She's probably just in the office and going 'by the books' so to speak.

It's a great course which I really would try to get into. It set me up well for my future anyway and most people from my course are already in pretty good jobs.

Would the course leader have a say in admitting him, isn't up to the admissions team?

Would the course leader have a say in admitting him, isn't up to the admissions team?

He did in the case of one of the people that did the course with me anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

Dont get your hopes up.

A friend of mine took legal proceedings against CTI as they refused them entry using the excuse that they didnt have the Honours in a Science subject but then they let in someone else (who coincidentally was their friend, thats how they found out) in with the same lack of Honours in Science.

They reversed their decision and they basically told them to go and shove it anyway just to prove a point.

Only exception should be made is if there is no one else in the queue. Imagine missing out on your number 1 despite having the points and grades because a lecturer stuck his nose in and granted an exception to someone else.

Personally i think they should just put a lot more into 1st year and assume more will drop out as the years go on. A lot of very small 3rd and 4th year classes as anyone whos been to college is well aware.

Dont get your hopes up.

A friend of mine took legal proceedings against CTI as they refused them entry using the excuse that they didnt have the Honours in a Science subject but then they let in someone else (who coincidentally was their friend, thats how they found out) in with the same lack of Honours in Science.

They reversed their decision and they basically told them to go and shove it anyway just to prove a point.

Only exception should be made is if there is no one else in the queue. Imagine missing out on your number 1 despite having the points and grades because a lecturer stuck his nose in and granted an exception to someone else.

Personally i think they should just put a lot more into 1st year and assume more will drop out as the years go on. A lot of very small 3rd and 4th year classes as anyone whos been to college is well aware.

They can't do that. They have only a certain amount of facilities available for a certain amount of entrants (lecturers, rooms etc.). It's not as simple as 'let everyone in and they'll drop out sure'.

The Business School being WIT's cash cow really does have a strong reputation too and I doubt a high drop-out rate is something they would be amused by.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 972 ✭✭✭Digital Society

They can't do that. They have only a certain amount of facilities available for a certain amount of entrants (lecturers, rooms etc.). It's not as simple as 'let everyone in and they'll drop out sure'.

The Business School being WIT's cash cow really does have a strong reputation too and I doubt a high drop-out rate is something they would be amused by.

Why are you quoting the words let everyone in as if i said it?

Do you even know how quotes work?

Why are you quoting the words let everyone in as if i said it?

Do you even know how quotes work?

Jaysis. I wasn't directly quoting you. What you said though was clearly along those lines. Don't know why you're getting in a jump about it.

Calm down imo

Advertisement