Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Autism ID card - IAA

Options
  • 17-08-2016 11:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 100 ✭✭

Hello

My son has just been diagnosed as being Autistic and I was looking to get him an ID card, to make life a little easier when traveling through the likes of the airport or days out

I know that Irish Autism Action can provide them but to be honest I am a little weary due to the recent negative press coverage the charity has recieved.

Is this the only place I can get a card for him or is their another card that is recognised. We are still finding our feet so I hope someone can point us in the right direction or alleviate or concerns

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,049 ✭✭✭Crea

You can get a carers card from the carers association. Similar benefits. I agree IAA are to be avoided.

• Registered Users Posts: 567 ✭✭✭DM addict

LJ3103 wrote: »
    Hello

My son has just been diagnosed as being Autistic and I was looking to get him an ID card, to make life a little easier when traveling through the likes of the airport or days out

I know that Irish Autism Action can provide them but to be honest I am a little weary due to the recent negative press coverage the charity has recieved.

Is this the only place I can get a card for him or is their another card that is recognised. We are still finding our feet so I hope someone can point us in the right direction or alleviate or concerns

Thanks

If it's for the airport they have their own thing - https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/passenger-information/special-assistance/autism-asd - think Shannon has something similar.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,063 ✭✭✭Miaireland

DM addict wrote: »
    If it's for the airport they have their own thing - https://www.dublinairport.com/at-the-airport/passenger-information/special-assistance/autism-asd - think Shannon has something similar.

I think Cork Airport may as well. I am almost certain that I saw a link on their website yesterday.

• Registered Users Posts: 32 Eibhlin2011

i have had both the Irish autism card and the family carers card - they both work as well as each other. You as the carer of your ASD child can get in to a lot of places free - like the zoo etc. We also use it at our local swimming pool and cinema. While visting theme parks in the UK you can get a ride access pass to skip the queues which is great.

https://familycarers.ie/get-involved/become-a-member/subscription-fees/
    I think they're online way of applying for the card is not working so you would need to phone them

Advertisement