Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Nylon String Tuning

Options
  • 17-08-2016 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭

Howdy Folks

Quick question on a new Cordoba classical guitar...How long does it take for strings to settle?...after a few hours it needs a tune especially the bottom three...kept at a steady room temp...have been playin it quite a bit over the last few days so i thought it have sorted itself by now....Savarez Cristal Corum strings..

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

fox0512 wrote: »
    Howdy Folks

Quick question on a new Cordoba classical guitar...How long does it take for strings to settle?...after a few hours it needs a tune especially the bottom three...kept at a steady room temp...have been playin it quite a bit over the last few days so i thought it have sorted itself by now....Savarez Cristal Corum strings..

I assume the strings have settled by now but when you put new strings on a guitar it helps to pull on them a bit to force them to stretch. Otherwise nobody would be able to change a string in the middle of a gig and keep playing as the string would stretch too much as they are playing :-)

Don't pull like a brute obviously. Keep doing it until the string starts to hold the tuning. It will keep stretching a bit after that, but not as much.

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

Cheers...am a newbie and thought maybe there was machine issues as it was losing tune so fast... its starting to settle now...not that it sounds any better in tune while im playing it! :pac::pac:

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 2,152 Mod ✭✭✭✭Oink

fox0512 wrote: »
    Cheers...am a newbie and thought maybe there was machine issues as it was losing tune so fast... its starting to settle now...not that it sounds any better in tune while im playing it! :pac::pac:

Also with a classical guitar you need to attach the string properly at both ends to stop it from slipping off. Look it up on youtube if you're not sure, it will be good to know for next time.

Finally, if you play a lot, do yourself a favour and change the whole set of strings from time to time. They're not meant to be played for years until they break!

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭fox0512

Oink wrote: »
    Also with a classical guitar you need to attach the string properly at both ends to stop it from slipping off. Look it up on youtube if you're not sure, it will be good to know for next time.

Finally, if you play a lot, do yourself a favour and change the whole set of strings from time to time. They're not meant to be played for years until they break!

thanks...I;ll prob change every year for the price.... thats if i haven't fired it out the window by then....who invented these barre chords?.... and I need to grow nails! :eek:

Advertisement