Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Renault Laguna reverse light switch

Options
  • 17-08-2016 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭

I have a 02 Renault Laguna and I'm having an issue with my reverse lights randomly turning on and sticking on (even when I haven't reveresed!). It's an intermittent problem that has started to get worse lately. There is also another issue which I think is related. Sometimes, I can't start the car unless I press the clutch. I believe this is because the car thinks it's in reverse so it won't start until the clutch is pressed?

Long story short I think the reverse switch is causing the problem and needs to be replaced.

The problem is I know nothing about repairing cars so does anyone know where I would find this switch on the car? Is it easy to remove and replace? Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 73,396 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

don't you have to have the clutch or brake pressed on those to start them?

cant see being in reverse being the cause.

switch would be on the gearbox usually.

• Registered Users Posts: 191 ✭✭Sheeeeit

colm_mcm wrote: »
    don't you have to have the clutch or brake pressed on those to start them?

cant see being in reverse being the cause.

switch would be on the gearbox usually.

The car normally starts without having to press any of the pedals.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭bman1

Having had lagunas for over 10 years I'd say yeah, ur sensor needs changing. My symptoms were wouldn't start without clutching, no reverse lights, no rear wiper coming on when selecting reverse. It's been a few years but I think I gave bout €40 for one. To find it jack up the passenger side of ur car, whip off the wheel to make life easier, if u look at the gearbox, under where the drive shaft goes into the box you'll see a green (it's green on mine anyway) sensor going into the box. Pull off the block connector before u do any more and see if it's 2 pin or 3 pin. Otherwise you'll end up buying the wrong one. Easy enough to change then, just make sure u have a pan ready to catch any spill. Jacking the car really high helps.

bman1 wrote: »
    Having had lagunas for over 10 years I'd say yeah, ur sensor needs changing. My symptoms were wouldn't start without clutching, no reverse lights, no rear wiper coming on when selecting reverse. It's been a few years but I think I gave bout €40 for one. To find it jack up the passenger side of ur car, whip off the wheel to make life easier, if u look at the gearbox, under where the drive shaft goes into the box you'll see a green (it's green on mine anyway) sensor going into the box. Pull off the block connector before u do any more and see if it's 2 pin or 3 pin. Otherwise you'll end up buying the wrong one. Easy enough to change then, just make sure u have a pan ready to catch any spill. Jacking the car really high helps.

Excellent thanks for the info. I'll give that a try tomorrow evening.

I also have the issue with the back windscreen wiper, expect mine turns on when it shouldn't. Just like the reverse lights stick on when they shouldn't. I reckon mines down to the switch getting stuck on whereas yours was probably getting stuck off.

Yup sound like that's what's wrong. Don't forget to check see if it's 2 pin or 3 pin before u go to the motor factors. I made that mistake, had the car jack up, wheel off and sensor out and new one in and I realised it had the wrong number of pins!!! U could chance getting one from a scrap yard but it's not like a new one is expensive.

• Advertisement

Yup sound like that's what's wrong. Don't forget to check see if it's 2 pin or 3 pin before u go to the motor factors. I made that mistake, had the car jack up, wheel off and sensor out and new one in and I realised it had the wrong number of pins!!! U could chance getting one from a scrap yard but it's not like a new one is expensive.

Hi bman, Only got round to looking at this today. I think I've located the switch but I had a bit of trouble removing it. Do you know if there's a mechanism for removing the 3 wires from the switch? Once I've those out, I assume I just unscrew it from the side wall?

14039914_1256679604356926_8567357865921143352_n.jpg?oh=3edaa92e730e3bdd4768fb263ba1e9bd&oe=585D3995

that's the one ya, if I remember correctly. just squeeze down on the top clip and give it a tug, it will separate. then just crack off the sensor and screw it out. you would want to have that side of the car jacked as high as u can otherwise you will lose plenty of pearbox oil. have a pan and rag handy anyway, bound to spill some bit.

that's the one ya, if I remember correctly. just squeeze down on the top clip and give it a tug, it will separate. then just crack off the sensor and screw it out. you would want to have that side of the car jacked as high as u can otherwise you will lose plenty of pearbox oil. have a pan and rag handy anyway, bound to spill some bit.

How do I replace the lost oil from the pearbox? Just re-fill through the engine again?

Also, do you reckon that's the 3-pin sensor? Since there's 3 wires connected to it? Or will I not know that until I pull it out?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    How do I replace the lost oil from the pearbox? Just re-fill through the engine again?

I think you need to reconsider this and let somebody familiar with cars do this before this problem grows into something bigger.

Gearbox oil is refilled thru the gearbox.

• Advertisement

kona wrote: »
    I think you need to reconsider this and let somebody familiar with cars do this before this problem grows into something bigger.

Gearbox oil is refilled thru the gearbox.

You're probably right! I'm just trying to save myself a few quid and the hassle of bringing my car to the garage. But it sounds like I'm better off letting a mechanic do it!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,525 ✭✭✭kona

Sheeeeit wrote: »
    You're probably right! I'm just trying to save myself a few quid and the hassle of bringing my car to the garage. But it sounds like I'm better off letting a mechanic do it!

Its a half an hour job for a mechanic, the box oil will piss out so you really need to be quick.

The sensor is a 24mm spanner too. You could have a go at it but if you need the car I'd be budgeting in some gearbox oil too, just so your not left with oil on the driveway and a car with no oil.

The sensor is a 24mm spanner too. You could have a go at it but if you need the car I'd be budgeting in some gearbox oil too, just so your not left with oil on the driveway and a car with no oil.[/QUOTE]

ya I had the car jacked as high as I could, didn't lose much but you would want to be fast, and have a container and rags at the ready. topping up is easier for a mechanic due to the location and way the gearbox is topped up.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4 Doyler07

Thier not a big job to do do you have a set of ramps or a good jack and axle stands? Where are you based your probably be aswell get a new sensor from renault there not that exspensive as far as i remember

Advertisement