Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Phone Scam?

Options
  • 17-08-2016 8:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭

I've been getting a lot of calls lately from someone who claims to be from the UK probate office and some long dead but of mine has left money in post office there and they're looking to give it to the current decendent. Now I do want the money but am very suspicious of this kind of thing. My mother has also received a letter from them - same story. The number they are calling from is 00 44 7739 112422
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 952 ✭✭✭s4uv3

Could well be real if your Mum has been contacted by then too. It's a plausible story.

Look up the number of the probate office that they're claiming to be from and call them yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,821 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

I've been getting a lot of calls lately from someone who claims to be from the UK probate office and some long dead but of mine has left money in post office there and they're looking to give it to the current decendent. Now I do want the money but am very suspicious of this kind of thing. My mother has also received a letter from them - same story. The number they are calling from is 00 44 7739 112422
    Have you tried looking up a number for the UK probate office and ringing it yourself to see if they know anything about such calls?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭RichT

The Duke of Westminster just 'popped his clogs'............

Congratulations! You now own half of London!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

0044 77 is a UK mobile number.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,658 ✭✭✭donutheadhomer

0044 77 is a UK mobile number.

sounds dodgy then.I was thinking it was some premium rate number that would bankrupt me if I called it

There are companies whose job it is to track down relatives to hand over inheritances, though - there's one on Harcourt St there was a TV series about recently!

Whether the probate office themselves would get involved though, I don't know.

Which is why if it were me I'd be ringing them to enquire.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    There are companies whose job it is to track down relatives to hand over inheritances, though - there's one on Harcourt St there was a TV series about recently!

Whether the probate office themselves would get involved though, I don't know.

Which is why if it were me I'd be ringing them to enquire.

well they said it was a large sum of money but know the relative they are talking about its very unlikly

And when you say 'a lot of calls', what do you mean?

Usually these scammers, if they don't get a reaction the first time, move on to the next potential victim.

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    And when you say 'a lot of calls', what do you mean?

Usually these scammers, if they don't get a reaction the first time, move on to the next potential victim.

3 this week

just looked at the letter from my mother there its a scam http://www.cozens-genealogy.co.uk/for-legal-services/4567033754

• Advertisement

look up https://www.gov.uk/search?q=probate
    they'll help

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

If there was such a relative and your mother got a letter as well I'd call it from a landline. You can always drop the call if they start looking for any suspect information.

Advertisement