Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Starting late

Options
  • 17-08-2016 7:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi im a 40yr old woman who has put off driving for many years.i just got my 3rd permit and am planning to get lessons.i have got lessons over the years but never stuck with the driving (stupid i know )but im hoping this time around will be different any advice on getting over the really bad nerves 😕

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mansoff

Get a good instructor. Not a friend of someone but someone who several people recommend.
    When I started I felt under pressure to move fast if I conked out. My advice is to take your time because safety is number one and if someone is beeping the horn or traffic is delayed because you’re conked out ignore them. Just concentrate on your driving and what you have been thought.
    Keep practicing the more you practice the better and more confident you will become. A good place is an industrial estate on a quiet Sunday morning.
    Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

That is old. I thought I was late learning at 21. Anyway best of luck it's great freedom.

Believe it or not my driving instructor brought me onto a dual carriage way on my first driving lesson, he was cool out but was a great instructor. I got 10 lessons and after that I don’t my driving test and passed first go as I had not picked up any bad habits. Early Sunday mornings at about 7 am is the best time to get use to the roads, roundabouts and traffic lights.

Believe it or not my driving instructor brought me onto a dual carriageway on my first driving lesson, he was cool out but was a great instructor. I got 10 lessons and after that I did my driving test and passed first go. Probably due to the fact that I had not picked up any bad habits. Early Sunday mornings at about 7 am is the best time to get use to the roads, roundabouts and traffic lights.

• Registered Users Posts: 240 ✭✭Wanderer41

suzie00 wrote: »
    Hi im a 40yr old woman who has put off driving for many years.i just got my 3rd permit and am planning to get lessons.i have got lessons over the years but never stuck with the driving (stupid i know )but im hoping this time around will be different any advice on getting over the really bad nerves 😕

I have just finished my 12 lessons. It is a bit daunting at first but once you get used to it it isn't so bad. I was (and still am!) nervous but my instructor is very good and relaxed which really helps. Find a good instructor and start straight away. I found that after a certain point I got a lot more confident and relaxed, it just takes time! Your instructor will have dual control so nothing can go wrong really.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 39,022 ✭✭✭✭Permabear

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,648 ✭✭✭honeybear

Permabear wrote: »
    This post had been deleted.
    I was the oldest in my family to learn to drive (26). Everyone else used my Mams car to learn to drive (micra) but I was so afraid of damaging it! It was only when I bought my own car that I took the plunge. Go for it - you won't regret it. Also, all reasonable drivers respect the L and N plates - we've all been there!

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BIGPAWS

suzie00 wrote: »

I Started last year and i am 46. I found it daunting at first, but soon got used to it. A good instructor is key. I bought my own little car to practise in had a family member accompany me.I watched loads of instruction vids online.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 suzie00

Thanks all have my first lesson booked

• Registered Users Posts: 7 BIGPAWS

The very best of luck !

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

My aunt was in her 60's when she learned to drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 397 ✭✭Wigglepuppy

DellyBelly wrote: »
    I thought I was late learning at 21.
    Wow, strange thing to think - 21 late? In my experience it is unusual for people to start driving under the age of 21.

Anyway, doesn't matter if a person starts driving "old" once it's not too old (health reasons) - can't see what difference it would make. Better to do it late than not.

All the best. Maturity might help with it too.

Best of luck with your first lesson!!

Advertisement