Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cycling along Grand Canal safe?

Options
  • 17-08-2016 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭

Hi,
    Does anyone know how unsafe it would be cycling from Park West to Portabello along the Grand Canal at night? Like from a "10" being "I'll Never Be Seen Again", to "1" being "It's Fine - You've More Chance of Being Robbed by a Nun in Lourdes".

Thanks!
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,089 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Hi,
    Does anyone know how unsafe it would be cycling from Park West to Portabello along the Grand Canal at night? Like from a "10" being "I'll Never Be Seen Again", to "1" being "It's Fine - You've More Chance of Being Robbed by a Nun in Lourdes".

Thanks!

Ive never cycled it at night but am aware of the reputation that the bluebell - clondalkin section has,s to the point that id avoid it,. I come down and take the naas road as far as inchicore and join the canal there

• Registered Users Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭worded

I am going to test the route for you OP at the suggested time
    For an added adrenalin rush I'm going to play Thriller on my ipod :-)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

The cycling forum might give you more answers

• Registered Users Posts: 9,297 ✭✭✭cgcsb

I recommend this educational movie filmed in just the spot you mention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZja9Hoq1jg

• Registered Users Posts: 381 ✭✭bricky06

I did a similar cycle a while back leaving town and heading back to the girlfriends house. Well, just expect a few... propositions. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,991 ✭✭✭DavyD_83

I'd reckon around a 7

I'd avoid it, but you'd probably be grand....
    Maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

cgcsb wrote: »
    I recommend this educational movie filmed in just the spot you mention

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OZja9Hoq1jg

Holy crap - I'm driving!

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭justforgroups

retalivity wrote: »
    Ive never cycled it at night but am aware of the reputation that the bluebell - clondalkin section has,s to the point that id avoid it,. I come down and take the naas road as far as inchicore and join the canal there
    How right you were retalivity! I was hit in the face this evening by some scumbags almost exactly where you mentioned (I put the details in the cycling forum in this post ) but will be taking your advice from now and skirting the Bluebell section altogether, joining back to the canal at Kylemore or further West at Kileen road.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,549 ✭✭✭maryishere

Avoid if you can. A male colleague at work got stopped and mugged near there last winter.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭Nika Bolokov

Hi,

Thanks!

A solid 8

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,134 ✭✭✭Lux23

I cycle from Rathmines to Dolphin's Barn a good bit and its fine, can't comment on the rest of the journey though.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,616 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

Its really a pity that people can have problems like this just going about their business for a cycle from A to B. I dont know if it happens this way because the Gardai are under-resourced or if they cannot be bothered or because under our laws anti social behaviour is too difficult to get convictions. Maybe it is a combination of all three factors. Whatever it is it is ultimately a failure of public policy and of our legislators. It is sad and frustrating seeing a tiny minority of teenagers ruining amenities like this for the vast majority of people. It means that we cannot have nice things :mad:

Advertisement