Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Unreliable seat belts on Honda HRV

Options
  • 17-08-2016 5:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭

A family member has a 2005 Honda HRV 5 door estate car.The rear seat belts are in regular use to fasten a child seat.

Recently, on pulling the nearside rear belt well out to adjust the seat fastenings I noticed a clean cut across one third of the width of the belt. This was a shock as so much is expected of this restraint mechanism. The vehicle has not been in any accidents of major braking stops. The cut looked as if it was fraying on something sharp somewhere under the floor pan. A new belt was purchased and installed - the garage stating that it had not previously seen such a fault in what they described as a very tough belt.

Imagine my reaction when, weeks later, the opposite (offside rear) belt unreeled in my hand as I was about to put it on! This time it looked as if the belt had unreeled completely from its housing. The cut this time was completely across the belt. Another replacement was required.
    I only post this thread to alert all Honda HRV owners to inspect their rear belts by drawing them out completely. It could save a life!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,499 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Is it possible the childs seat is causing the damage to the seat belt?

• Registered Users Posts: 55 ✭✭clonagam

I believe not.

Both cuts were located not around the parts of the belt that physically secured the seat but further back into the mechanism. In both cases, the belt had to be pulled further out than normal to reach the cuts.

I now have 25 posts - do I qualify to upload pictures?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Yes you should be able to upload pics now.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Was the car bought 2nd hand? Did you check the other belts when you found the 1st one cut? Previous owners could have cut the belts.

• Advertisement

Del2005 wrote: »
    Was the car bought 2nd hand? Did you check the other belts when you found the 1st one cut? Previous owners could have cut the belts.

My family member is the second owner of the car. Of course I checked the other belts when the first cut appeared and there were no apparent faults. Don't know why, or how, a previous owner would cut the belts. The second belt failure occurred at what I believe was the end of the belt, possibly at its anchorage, and it would be near impossible to access that point inside the reel.

Advertisement