Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Attempt driving test or change centre and postpone test?

Options
  • 17-08-2016 2:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 746 ✭✭✭

I completed my 12 lessons a few weeks ago with an instructor around castlebar, I then applied for a driving test in Castlebar and was given a slot during the first week of September.

I didn't get on with my first instructor (very impatient and belittling). Yesterday, I went for a sort of "refresher" lesson with a different instructor to get a few pointers on my driving.

He said I was mostly fine, bar a few things (hesitating at junctions, harsh braking) but he said that I wouldn't be capable of passing a test in 2 and a half weeks time. He recommended that I cancel my test in Castlebar and go on the cancellation list for Tuam instead, giving me more time to prepare, he also said that it's a much more forgiving town and is a lot handier to manouever.

So what do I do? In some ways I'd like to bite the bullet and stick with Castlebar because I'm heading into leaving cert and want to get it over with, and it'd be nice to get the full licence. But on the other hand I don't want to fail Castlebar and end up paying the fee again to repeat as well as having my confidence knocked.

Would going on the cancellation list for tuam push out my test by much?

What should I do?

Any and all advice appreciated

PS I'm equally familiar with both towns in terms of navigating them

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,043 ✭✭✭✭neris

go for it. if the instructors saying your ok bar a few things work on them up to the test and maybe take a few lessons with the new guy if he will give them to you and just remember them and to drive safely on the test day (mirros, breaking, indicating)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 billy767

Why not just do as the professional you are paying advises?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Part of me thinks you should go for it. But then again, postponing for a couple of weeks isn't too bad either. Worth keeping in mind:
    You will not lose your fee if you:

have not previously cancelled more than two appointments and you give at least 10 days notice.
    do not attend because there are dangerous road conditions locally and you advise us as soon as possible on the day of the test.

So you will not lose your fee cancelling this far in advance. From what you mention about the advice from your new instructor, there are a few areas which you need to iron out issues with. In an ideal world you would probably be okay to fix these in two weeks if you were practising every day and had numerous lessons to keep you on track. But I think I would take the advice of the instructor on this one and play it safe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,601 ✭✭✭Kat1170

billy767 wrote: »
    Why not just do as the professional you are paying advises?

Which one ???

They're both saying something different.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 billy767

Er, not the one when you said "I didn't get on with my first instructor (very impatient and belittling)."

• Advertisement
Advertisement