Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Cost to install a home charge point

Options
  • 17-08-2016 1:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭

I'm looking into purchasing a Leaf from the UK. Could anyone provide me with a rough idea how much it would cost to install a home charging point?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 18,224 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Black Oil

I can't recall who exactly posted it, someone here did say it would cost about 1,000 if you went through an electrician to source the parts, etc. But, if you get the parts yourself, then contact an electrician it should be a bit less.

It might be in one of these threads.

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057534360

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2057584653

• Registered Users Posts: 508 ✭✭✭purpleisafruit

Thanks for the replies folks, much appreciated!
    @Mods, please feel free to close

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Bought 16a teathered charge point new off seller on adverts for €300. Some 6sq cable and rcbo €30. If you can run the cable yourself will not be expensive to get it connected.

• Registered Users Posts: 860 ✭✭✭boardzz

Bought 16a teathered charge point new off seller on adverts for €300. Some 6sq cable and rcbo €30. If you can run the cable yourself will not be expensive to get it connected.

Isn't that illegal?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Was quoted €900 for the 6.6 charge, 32 amp point installed.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,795 ✭✭✭samih

boardzz wrote: »
    Isn't that illegal?

To buy cable and RCBO or to run the cable without connecting it to the mains? As far as I know both activities are currently legal.

Running the cable yourself

Running the cable yourself

Running a cable yourself should be fine as long as you leave both ends disconnected.

Cause that's useful

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,702 ✭✭✭✭BoatMad

samih wrote: »
    Running a cable yourself should be fine as long as you leave both ends disconnected.

You can wire into an existing spur without any certification. ( assuming the current rating is sufficient ) anything involving modifications to the distribution board requires a RECI installer or certifier.

You can have a RECI just wire the distribution. Out to a 32A socket for example. You can wire up the evse yourself etc

In my case, I'd be chasing the cable from distribution board through the attic and out. I'd get a RECI to do the connection to the board and probably connect up the evse myself and get them to check it all works properly.

Cause that's useful

...to save labour cost on the install?

If it saves €50 it's worth the time it would take me to do :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,367 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

Also worth if if you want a neat job. The likes of SEAI contractors for the ESB home charge points will only use surface mount trunking/conduit on the inside and outside of houses.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭proponent

Hi all,
    I have what may be a very silly question so pardon my ignorance. I am just planning out how and where to install home charge port as aesthetically as is possible.
    Does the new spur have to come from the consumer unit or can it come directly from the meter on the outside of the house, post meter and RCBO obviously but pre consumer unit?

proponent wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have what may be a very silly question so pardon my ignorance. I am just planning out how and where to install home charge port as aesthetically as is possible.
    Does the new spur have to come from the consumer unit or can it come directly from the meter on the outside of the house, post meter and RCBO obviously but pre consumer unit?

It can't come directly from the meter and it must pass through a distribution box of some sort. You could have an auxiliary consumer unit installed in or near the meter as an option

proponent wrote: »
    Hi all,

It can't come directly from the meter and it must pass through a distribution box of some sort. You could have an auxiliary consumer unit installed in or near the meter as an option , this can be more expensive requiring esb disconnection etc

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭cros13

BoatMad wrote: »
    It can't come directly from the meter and it must pass through a distribution box of some sort. You could have an auxiliary consumer unit installed in or near the meter as an option , this can be more expensive requiring esb disconnection etc

That's not always the case. Some of the newer ESB meters have an unsealed built-in isolation switch on the customer side. That would allow for installation of an intermediate box (which is what I've done) without requiring ESB to interrupt the supply. In other cases (particularly in multi-unit housing) the meters are centrally located and there is often an isolation switch before the cable run to the consumer unit which offers a point to connect your EVSE (which is what I did with my Dublin apartment).

cros13 wrote: »
    That's not always the case. Some of the newer ESB meters have an unsealed built-in isolation switch on the customer side. That would allow for installation of an intermediate box (which is what I've done) without requiring ESB to interrupt the supply. In other cases (particularly in multi-unit housing) the meters are centrally located and there is often an isolation switch before the cable run to the consumer unit which offers a point to connect your EVSE (which is what I did with my Dublin apartment).

true , true, if that there thats fine

• Advertisement
Advertisement