Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Freelance web development

Options
  • 17-08-2016 12:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭

Hi guys,
    looking to start up freelance web development on the side for some extra money.
    Just wondering do I need to register for tax on this straight away or can I hit a certain amount where I must do so then.
    Any tips for starting up as an individual?
    What rates should I be charging also.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,275 ✭✭✭bpmurray

You have to register as a sole trader (or a company) with the tax authorities.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

Is there money to be made in web developing of late, seems like every man and he's dog is at it these days charging sfa..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Is there money to be made in web developing of late, seems like every man and he's dog is at it these days charging sfa..

There goes that idea so. Any advice on what a qualified software developer could do as a side job for some extra cash?
    I have experience developing windows phone apps and am considering learing for android also.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭punk_one82

tcawley29 wrote: »
    There goes that idea so. Any advice on what a qualified software developer could do as a side job for some extra cash?
    I have experience developing windows phone apps and am considering learing for android also.

There are websites where people put ads for freelancers and you bid on winning the job. Check out freelancer.com and upwork.com

As a qualified software dev your options are fairly open tbh. You can write windows phone apps (not entirely sure there's much of a market for these), but learning Android/iOS dev and trying to get some freelancing projects for them could make a bit of money. Not sure how hard it is to start winning bids on freelancing websites, but I'm sure you'd need some sort of portfolio of apps to show potential clients.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,250 ✭✭✭Buford T Justice

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    every man and he's dog is at it these days charging sfa..

This. Any half wit can take an online course in CSS and HTML and then call themselves web developers - which they most often do.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

This. Any half wit can take an online course in CSS and HTML and then call themselves web developers - which they most often do.

Drop a template into wordpress? *Boom* you're a developer.

Not a digital marketer though. SEO, location based advertising, stuff like might make money (I don't know because I haven't really looked into it).

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

There is plenty of money to be made doing professional web development.

Doing web development 'on-the-side' for a bit of extra cash is a different story all together. In that market you're generally competing with the aforementioned half witted every man and his dog that's ever completed a 25 minute introduction to dreamweaver.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭14ned

tcawley29 wrote: »

The days of writing phone apps on the side outside of work and actually making money appear to be gone. It was always only ever a temporary bubble anyway.

They say the next big thing is going to be apps for IoT devices, but personally speaking I find very little value add to me for almost every IoT device I've ever seen. I can see maybe a value add for large companies with big logistics problems, but around the home? All those devices are just gadget crap, and enormous security holes to boot. You might as well route the unfiltered internet straight into your home as soon as you let any of those devices touch your home wifi.

Past that it looks like the next big growth area in tech is undoubtedly going to be data analytics where you fire thousands of cloud nodes at some enormous dataset to try and figure out patterns. That sort of work pays very very well, and because many problems aren't time sensitive there is a whole consulting world of people hacking on that stuff in their spare time and charging whatever hours they get round to in a month. Nice little earner if you've got skills in that area, and very far removed from any of those race to the bottom 99 designs type freelancer websites that are around.

Niall

Advertisement