Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Choosing discs

Options
  • 17-08-2016 11:49am

Where do people here get their disks?
    car is a MK5 GTi,

Just from micks garage I see Juratex and Mintex are the "premium" brands they offer.
    keeping stock size etc

Just need fronts but will probably get the rear ones done anyways.

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Where do people here get their disks?
    car is a MK5 GTi,

Just from micks garage I see Juratex and Mintex are the "premium" brands they offer.
    keeping stock size etc

Just need fronts but will probably get the rear ones done anyways.

thanks

From England online. Brembo or ebc.

I don't rate basic mintex or ferodo as much more than bogga stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,097 ✭✭✭Roger Mellie Man on the Telly

Call into a VW main dealer parts desk and ask for a price with discount. If they won't discount tell them you're always buying parts from them and will continue to do so in future.

You'll likely be surprised at the value and you're assured of perfect fit and quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

I got some Mintex disc and pads at local factors.
    Are you going to DIY it?

biko wrote: »
    I got some Mintex disc and pads at local factors.
    Are you going to DIY it?

Yes I think i will.(depending on the weather :p)
    have done pads before but never disks.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

If you've done pads then discs will just add a little more time.
    The biggest obstacle is that discs often rust to the hub and may need quite a lot of hammering to loosen.

Once you have the old disc off clean the area of rust (I usually just use a file and clean it that way) and put a bit of copper grease on hub so they won't be so hard to get off next time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

I'm driving a 04 Xtrail and in the last 12 months I've gone through 3 sets of front discs. Local mf looking after me as I'm a regular customer..First two sets were minted and warped within 1500miles. I insisted on different brand this time and they provided me with blueprint discs..I've only done a few hundred miles since install but so far so good. Make of that what you will. Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 81,471 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I'm driving a 04 Xtrail and in the last 12 months I've gone through 3 sets of front discs. Local mf looking after me as I'm a regular customer..First two sets were minted and warped within 1500miles. I insisted on different brand this time and they provided me with blueprint discs..I've only done a few hundred miles since install but so far so good. Make of that what you will. Best of luck

That's really poor, are the pads being replaced at the same time?

• Registered Users Posts: 438 ✭✭Polo_Cluvie

That's really poor, are the pads being replaced at the same time?
    Sure are every time. All bushings etc 100%. No shudder when discs are new but after a fee weeks it creeps back in gradually getting worse. Wheels tyres etc are 100% and I don't tow. I'm handy on the spanners myself and I've asked a few mechanic friends about it and all say the same that it's the discs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

I had similar disc issues last year.There are some seriously shìte discs out there.
    I think buy cheap,buy twice really applies when it comes to brake discs and pads.Best to go genuine or a premium manufacturer like brembo ebc bosch trw.

I was wondering if there are numbers like tires and wheels so I can be sure when buying discs they will fit.

• Advertisement

Yes,
    Most parts manufacturers have online catalogs,its often possible to find cross reference tables online.Sometimes you can do well on good quality stuff on ebay uk and parcel motel/parcel wizard,with the way the sterling is at the moment.Just make sure you have the right size disc too as often the same car can have different size discs.

Parcel wizard would prob be best for discs,higher weight limit I think.

Mister-auto would have a better selection too.I have never used them myself,but I understand some people have had issues buying from them,they have bosch trw ferodo.

Yea but take this for example.
    i put my reg into mister auto
    offers me a selection of fronts disks different diameters ( i believe i need 312mm on the front)

whats the point of offering all these?

Ovv23qy.jpg

There is a couple of different bhp mk5 gti I think?
    I had this before buying discs,but it was a case where different size discs were fitted to the same year,engine and bhp!I just measured them.

magentis wrote: »
    There is a couple of different bhp mk5 gti I think?
    I had this before buying discs,but it was a case where different size discs were fitted to the same year,engine and bhp!I just measured them.

maybe,
    there is a 230bhp one but I'd imagine they would be bigger disks than the standard 200bhp
    might try these

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/newreply.php?do=newreply&p=100724501

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

Mk5 GTI uses 312mm in all iterations. Mister Auto doesn't differentiate between specific Golf models so just offers all possible options. It's up to the customer to choose the correct parts for their car.

top man George!
    If I was to buy from the VW dealers what make would the disks/pads be?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,728 ✭✭✭George Dalton

I don't know who makes the discs for VW but they are noticeably better quality and longer lasting than any of the aftermarket options we have seen.

Pads can vary between several manufacturers (usually Pagid, Textar, Brembo, Ferodo) but OE pad suppliers rarely make their aftermarket pads to the same standards.

It is also worth noting that VW dealers can supply a cheaper economy range of brake parts which are roughly equivalent to decent OEM parts but should not be confused with the genuine full OE spec parts.

Advertisement