Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Started longboarding. Loving it.

Options
  • 17-08-2016 10:32am
    Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 23,157 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I'm a few days from 28 years of age and I was a wannabe skater kid back when the Tony Hawk games were popular on the playstation. I had a short board, I could never ollie and my memories of it were more of falling over than actually doing much. But for some reason or another I've had an itch in the last year to get out and cruise around.

On numerous occasions I almost bought various boards on adverts on the cheap, but stopped myself. Then after some googling I figured that maybe I should look for a long board. Surfing on the road rather than tricks seemed to appeal more.

So 3 weeks ago I got myself a cheap-ish long board from amazon. Plus some nice bearings and wrist guards. Since then I've been trying to get out every evening to practise, and I've been loving it. I really felt like I was starting from scratch when I hopped on, but after about 30 minutes I was just about okay.

But over the 3 weeks I can see and feel myself getting better, learning to foot brake, learning how to adjust your stance and weight across the board. Carving and tackling some (minor) hills. It's tonnes of fun!

I just wanted to post in case there's other slightly older people out there who have an idea to get back to it, or start from scratch. I reckon just do it!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

I think I'm going through something similar, but I'm nearly 40... Still not sure about regular board vs long board...

• Registered Users Posts: 1 longBoardbob

Lads ..I am in the same boat - Started longboarding a year ago - am 41 now ..

Loving it ..Based on in Swords so there isnt a lot of spots for bombing big hills but I make do .
    Couple of nice runs in and around the applewood estates.

Skateparks are good craic as well .

Longboards are much stable than the regular - I tried a few small hills on both and Regular - the wobble gets too much on regular - even with LB wheels ..

Advertisement