Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your weirdest animal encouters

Options
  • 17-08-2016 8:22am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by the swan thread - I know I had a few odd run-ins with animals, and I'm curious to hear other people's stories.

My most recent one would have been just a few weeks ago when I accidentally kicked a seal.

I go for swims in a little bay close to my home. I know there's seals, and have been told by other swimmers that one in particular comes by to just watch people in the water a bit. I'd never seen him, though.
    A few weeks ago, I went for a swim on Sunday morning. I went out quite a bit, and just when I was about to turn around I could feel my foot connecting with something very muscular. At first I thought I might have kicked another swimmer who came up behind (some of those guys never look where they're going, especially when wearing wetsuits for some reason), so I turned around and there was the seal popping his head up and looking at me indignantly.
    I apologised profusely, but he just huffed and disappeared again.

When I thought about it later, it occured to me that he must have been swimming right behind me. Not crossing, but following me. And he might have been doing that for quite some time. So the little stalker really just got what he deserved.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 20,409 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

kneemos wrote: »

:eek: I'm not sure what that is - or if that is safe for work, even?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Shenshen, you might enjoy The Shallows movie which is out at the moment with Blake Lively although she didn't get off so lightly.

Had an encounter with some big mouthed pelicans in Dublin Zoo one time. They weren't in an enclosure, just walking around. Some bint started poking an umbrella at them. They went crazy and I, three year old kid, got caught up in the middle of them. They surrounded me and started closing in on me. Some kind man spotted me in the middle of them, managed to rescue me from them and dragged me out. Scarred for life now :( although not as bad as I used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,209 ✭✭✭Poochie05

My mother got slapped on the face by a giraffe's tongue in Dublin zoo!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,638 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

Being chased by a badger.

Having a jet of (what I assume was) piss aimed at me by an irate monkey.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,295 ✭✭✭✭Duggy747

Was working in a garden when I was a teen, usual stuff of maintaining and clearing weeds. Most days were bland and dull but one day I had 2 ecounters with animals at that house.

Was pulling up some weeds when I came across a toad beside a patch, had only quickly spotted him before the dirty bastard squirted a stream of liquid at me and hopped off into the bushes.

I then stood up and turned around to see the owner's spaniel take a shíte in the garden. Grand, so I went around back to get something to pick up the mutt's sausages. When I came back I found him eating the last of his poo, proper horsing into it. I call at him to stop but he takes it up the wrong way and thinks I want to play.

I now found myself being chased around a house by a spaniel with it's mouth full of shít. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

A hilariously obese dog followed us home from a pub one night and joined us on the lash. He stayed over on the floor of the house, I only found out where he lived in the morning.

That's his thing, apparently.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,789 ✭✭✭Alf Stewart.

A dingo tried to eat my first born.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Two feet away from a Philippine cobra.
    Was over for a month with the famy and some kids had them for eating and one escaped and well frightening wasn't the word I'd use.
    Have had some exotic pets over the years so I've few scars. My friend and I would often go to a field beside his house were two donkeys were. And they didn't like us in their field so they'd chase up. Once or twice I felt a hoof on my hair when I'd slide under the fence.
    Pulled plenty of sheep out of brambles and thorn bushes. Could go on and on but it's to early and I'm watching Disney junior with the kids so unless the lion guard is a animal encounter is say I'm done 😀

• Registered Users Posts: 2,293 ✭✭✭hairyprincess

Had a race with a donkey, me driving, him galloping or whatever it is donkeys do, in the field next to the road. I think that was a draw.
    Attacked by a cow. Twice. Same cow. Needless to say it turned me off cattle completely.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Shint0 wrote: »
    Shenshen, you might enjoy The Shallows movie which is out at the moment with Blake Lively although she didn't get off so lightly.

Jeez, thanks for that. I do occasionally freak myself out while swimming, thinking I've seen something huge move under the water. Now I need to add homicidal sharks to stalker seal and potential sea monster to the list of my possible explanations.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,207 ✭✭✭The King of Moo

I was walking to a friend's house one Saturday night for a party when I was confronted by the sight of a cat with its head stuck in a Mighty Munch bag.
    All the way in.
    While this looked hilarious, the cat was very stressed because it couldn't get it off. And I was worried because it was right beside a busy main road.

So there I found myself: struggling to grab hold of the end of the bag, with the cat blindly scuttering around and waving its head wildly so I could never get a hold of it. And when I started getting close it would sense me and run a little bit away.
    Eventually I managed to get two fingers on the corner of the bag, and the cat instinctively ducked its head back to get away. It ran off, veering very close to the road but avoiding it.

A terrifying ordeal for the animal, and not so pleasant for me.

But boy did it look funny.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

Gave a chip to a dog in Howth and he ate it, winked at me and walked off.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,204 ✭✭✭dodderangler

Shenshen wrote: »
    Jeez, thanks for that. I do occasionally freak myself out while swimming, thinking I've seen something huge move under the water. Now I need to add homicidal sharks to stalker seal and potential sea monster to the list of my possible explanations.
    Don't watch the shallows. It's crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

Poochie05 wrote: »
    My mother got slapped on the face by a giraffe's tongue in Dublin zoo!

Is that slang?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,026 ✭✭✭Amalgam

Fossetts or Duffys Circus, I forget which, out in Bray, myself and a bunch of other kids in the second row, grand stuff.

Lions, stools, a few cracks of the whip later and one of the lions just lifts the tail up and lets rip with a generous spray/jet of lion piss. Dad in front row dives with his kids, ice cream cones now have an 'extra topping', father has to discourage his kids from keeping the ice cream, howling starts.

A Lion can piss straight out behind, you'd think they'd have a lad like a dog's.. pointing forward (between the hind legs). The more you know..

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Tazio

Sitting in my car on a garage forecourt... and a crow causally walks past my open car window with a lit cigarette in his beak. He looked dam cool.

It was a place where lads getting food in the morning would throw food to the crows... I guess the poor old crow thought it was bread? Or did he ?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,761 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I was on my bike about 10 miles from my parents' house. A friendly Irish wolfhound bounded out of a house towards me. I couldn't resist stopping to give him a pet, then got back on the bike and headed home. I didn't realise until I was a mile from home when I stopped that the dog had been following me all the way at a distance.

I had to carry on home, bundle the dog into the car and drive him back to his owners. :pac: My own dog was not amused that my car now smelt of Wolfhound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 201 ✭✭GoodBridge

Tazio wrote: »
    Sitting in my car on a garage forecourt... and a crow causally walks past my open car window with a lit cigarette in his beak. He looked dam cool.

It was a place where lads getting food in the morning would throw food to the crows... I guess the poor old crow thought it was bread? Or did he ?

http://i.imgur.com/VQ7LToC.gifv

• Closed Accounts Posts: 316 ✭✭noaddedsugar

Yesterday me and the kids saw a donkey swigging out of 7up bottle. He had the neck of bottle clamped between his teeth and was lifting his head up to take drinks. The kids have been asking all morning if we can go bring the donkey another bottle of 7up, my more sensible suggestion of a carrot is falling on deaf ears.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,814 ✭✭✭harry Bailey esq

Shenshen wrote: »

My most recent one would have been just a few weeks ago when I accidentally kicked a seal.

I apologised profusely, but he just huffed and disappeared again..

Goofballs people,pepped up on goofballs

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Living in California- 1. Putting the bins out one night got attacked by a raccoon. The innocent Paddy that I am had obviously heard of them before, but assumed they were no bigger than squirrels. Wrong. similar in size to a semi-detached house. Bastard ran at me when I put the rubbish in the bin and I had to peg it back behind the security gate at a speed that'd qualify me for the Olympics.

2. Camping in Yosemite came across what I assume was a massive brown bear about 25ft infront of me in the treeline. It was walking bipedal though and absolutely smashing the brush up as it walked to get away from me. It was either a bear that decided to give the ol' two legged walk a try, or it was bigfoot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,001 ✭✭✭Wossack

had a similar encounter with some racoons before - the fuggin noise of them :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 386 ✭✭scouttio

Nothing major or anything, but that weird eye-contact with a dog while it's taking a dump.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭Duff

Wossack wrote: »
    had a similar encounter with some racoons before - the fuggin noise of them :eek:

There was a family living in the roof of the apartment complex that I lived in. The poor pest control lads got an awful bashing from them :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Lama spat at me before, got me right between them eyes.

Could swear the f*cker was smiling.

So i squirted my water bottle back at him.

Advertisement