Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Watching foreign telly when you're pished

Options
  • 17-08-2016 1:37am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 18,299 ✭✭✭✭

When I was a wain, we used to love the special movies you got from German TV on a Saturday night, I learnt more from Sat1 than I did from years of teenage discos in the parish hall.

Now, I'm an old fogey watching a Uruguayan football match on a dodgy box, when I used to be more interested in watching dodgy foreign boxes.

How has your interaction with foreign TV channels changed over the years?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,072 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

When I was a wain, we used to love the special movies you got from German TV on a Saturday night, I learnt more from Sat1 than I did from years of teenage discos in the parish hall.

Now, I'm an old fogey watching a Uruguayan football match on a dodgy box, when I used to be more interested in watching dodgy foreign boxes.

As I always say to Melania,

You can't bate a nice dodgy foreign box

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,973 ✭✭✭RayM

I used to watch old episodes of Neighbours on Sat1.

Catchy theme tune.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

RayM wrote: »
    I used to watch old episodes of Neighbours on Sat1.

Catchy theme tune.

I never ever, want to hear or see that again.

As I always say to Melania,

You can't bate a nice dodgy foreign box

That said, I don't it if she lets me watch while she's bate'in hers :D

Forder-en telly?

Are you talking about the BBC?

I MADE the BBC

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 625 ✭✭✭yermanoffthetv

The amount of sh1te channels on sky is actually astounding if you really start searching through them. Whats even more astounding is how long you'll watch them in sheer bemusement. the caravan channel is the one that pops into mind, watching some sad sack from Ipswich talk about chemical toilets and hitching procedures for his tin can. The religious ones can be quite nutty too. I watched some evangelical American one where there was WWF styled wrestlers breaking planks of wood/breeze blocks ect after praying for divine strength from good old Jesus Christ :confused: Some of the late night foreign language movies can be good though. The Scandinavian ones always have a good story though there usually bleak as fook.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,896 ✭✭✭sabat

Thanks to BBC 2 and Channel 4 a whole generation of teenage boys gained a solid foundation in European arthouse cinema. I can't see a 13 year old today sitting through an entire Kieslowski or Ken Russell film just to glimpse some minge for 30 seconds.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

Some of the late night foreign language movies can be good though. The Scandinavian ones always have a good story though there usually bleak as fook.
    That were probably some Ingmar Bergman movies you stumbled upon.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭hairyslug

Does Eurotrash count as foreign tv

sabat wrote: »
    Thanks to BBC 2 and Channel 4 a whole generation of teenage boys gained a solid foundation in European arthouse cinema. I can't see a 13 year old today sitting through an entire Kieslowski or Ken Russell film just to glimpse some minge for 30 seconds.

Ken Russell film, set the video on record...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13 Robert_Paulson

I watched some evangelical American one where there was WWF styled wrestlers breaking planks of wood/breeze blocks ect after praying for divine strength from good old Jesus Christ.

What channel was this?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,196 ✭✭✭Shint0

hairyslug wrote: »
    Does Eurotrash count as foreign tv
    I have memories of watching that as a student in a drunken haze. It was on a Friday night and someone used record it if we were going out. We would watch it some time the following week along with episodes of Dale's Supermarket Sweep which probably counts as foreign tv too although this was in Edinburgh so maybe not. Definitely remember watching those two together.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,489 ✭✭✭Yamanoto

Dennis Potter teleplays were also a goldmine for teen lads with a keen interest in the arts.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 861 ✭✭✭MeatTwoVeg

2hours watching a cerebral French drama for 6 seconds of sideboob?
    Totally worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,572 ✭✭✭DominoDub

So true :cool:..as such I still have fond memories of euro stars like :

Isabelle Adjani

Emmanuelle Béart

Victoria abril

Béatrice Dalle

• Closed Accounts Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Zxclnic

MeatTwoVeg wrote: »
    2hours watching a cerebral French drama for 6 seconds of sideboob?
    Totally worth it.

'Sideboob', you were lucky.
    I had to make do with 'Claire's Knee'.

Advertisement