Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build , back to PC gaming

Options
  • 16-08-2016 11:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭

Hey all. Lookin for some recommendations. Got a new build 1070 and looking for some game suggestions. Coming from a ps4. The last time I had a PC oblivion was out :) Have max Payne and shadow of Mordor to get me started. Any gaming suggestions are welcome.
    Peter

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

The Witcher 2 and 3, Bioshock, Dark Souls?

What kind of stuff do you like

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭padair

I have played witcher 3 and fall out already. I was looking for some suggestions on unmissable games that can be got on PC that I would have missed on ps3 and ps4

Cheers

• Registered Users Posts: 18,704 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Play DOOM.

So much fun. Best FPS campaign in years.

Other games:

===
    Dragon's Dogma: Dark Arisen is a cult classic, really good blend of Japanese & Western RPG. PC port is stellar & much better than console.

Transistor is achingly beautiful.

Overwatch is probably the most populated non-brown FPS for multiplayer.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭Justwinginit

Warframe, free to play but awesome game, 290+hours on it. Insurgency, like battlefield only more reality based. No hud, needs teamwork or you die. Like arpg? Try Victor Vran, van helsing 2. Look up G2play. That's where I get all my games. Dirt cheap:-D and there's always CSGO, I never played it, but a lot of people do.... Welcome back to PC gaming:-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,317 ✭✭✭padair

Cheers for the reply.
    I likes wolvenstein on ps4 so might Mick up doom.

Loads of choices, time to get shopping

Cheerd

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,297 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

As said, CS:GO - gun game is fun on it.

Also, look into ARMA3. The game itself isn't bad, but I play it for the mods, such as Wasteland. Bare in mind that it's a milsim, so there's bullet drop, and jumping off a roof will probably break your legs :P But it allows you to build fortresses, so can be cool with mates :D

Trackmania can be fun if you're into wacky races, and Minecraft is good to build stuff.

Finally, as you're now on a PC please remember
    NOT TO BUY STUFF AT FULL RETAIL PRICE

Check the following for cheap prices before you buy anything;
    www.greenmangaming.com
    www.g2play.net
    www.kinguin.net
    https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals
    www.isthereanydeal.com
    Oh, and www.humblebundle.com can be good sometimes for multi-game deals.

Apart from Steam, Origin is used for many of the Battlefield games. Heck, install Origin anyway, and look at it every so often for the free games it gives you :P Oh, and also install uPlay. A couple of games that you get in Steam generally need uPlay installed if the game is by Ubisoft.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

+1 for Arma 3. Its one of those games that can only be played on PC and theres not much like it on console.
    If you do,make sure to try it modded,there really is a mod/server for any occasion in that game.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

They might not be your cupán tae, so check out vids and reviews first, but a lot of the best PC exclusives are strategy/4X type titles, sims/management type games etc; Civilisation series, Anno, Total War, Age of * , Cities: Skylines, Europa Universalis, Crusader Kings....

Some exclusives on the FPS front include the STALKER series, which I loved, though they have their problems.

Lots of indie games are exclusive to PC, although they won't tax your new system. Don't overlook them though. Recent favourites among boardies include Sunless Sea, Hard West, Invisible Inc, Incredible Adventures of Van Helsing... I also had great time for Orcs Must Die and Defense Grid.

Remember as well that PC gaming opens up a world of mods to you now. So games you may have completed already, can have fresh life breathed into them. The afore-mentioned STALKER games can benefit hugely from mods, as can any recent Elder Scrolls and Fallout games. Also check out the recent X-Com games!

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

You now have the joys of modding open to you - Skyrim and Fallout New Vegas are both cheap for the "give me *ALL* the content" versions and then you have the ability to tweak and enhance them into 500 hour games :)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

There is plenty to play on pc. Specially in free to play market.

World of tanks
    Warframe
    Warthunder
    Armored warfare
    Hawken

Then depends what you like. A lot of good rpgs, strategies on pc.

Settlers 7
    Heroes of Might and magic 6 or 7
    Civilisation 5
    Rimworld
    Prison architect
    Starcraft 2
    Diablo 3
    Darkest dungeon
    X com 1 and 2

Some survival games:

Rust
    Ark survival
    Space engineers

As always any fps in console plays 10 times better on pc.

Rainbow six siege
    Arma 3

You can always try out the kind of mmorpgs like wow. It has new expansion coming out in 2 weeks. A lot of changes to a very positive side with it.

That's just the too of my head.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 937 ✭✭✭Dair76

Forgot to mention Star Citizen. It's still early access, so I'm not necessarily recommending it. But if it delivers, it will be huge.

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭Umbra

Insurgency
    Day of Infamy
    Civilisation V
    Garry's Mod
    Chivalry: Medieval Warfare
    Quake Live
    Dota 2
    Team Fortress 2

• Registered Users Posts: 11,397 ✭✭✭✭Digital Solitude

Antichamber
    Rogue Legacy
    Amnesia The Dark Descent
    Legend of Grimrock
    Lucius, Lucius 2
    Metro 2033/Last Light Redux
    Portal and Portal 2
    Superhot
    FTL
    Left 4 Dead 2
    Mount and Blade Warband
    Payday 2
    And finally, Tropico 5.

Mix of strategy, puzzle and FPS there.

isthereanydeal.com is my go for for games, set up an account, pick a game and it'll show you it's price on a bunch of stores, as well as its lowest price etc. You can set it to email you when a game goes below a certain price or whenever it goes on sale.

There's a debate going on about sites like kinguin and g2play, they're like eBay for games and some of the games can be bought using stolen credit cards. If this happens, it causes devs money. Most games there are sound but some like to avoid it as devs don't recommend it

the_syco wrote: »
    As said, CS:GO - gun game is fun on it.

Also, look into ARMA3. The game itself isn't bad, but I play it for the mods, such as Wasteland. Bare in mind that it's a milsim, so there's bullet drop, and jumping off a roof will probably break your legs :P But it allows you to build fortresses, so can be cool with mates :D

Trackmania can be fun if you're into wacky races, and Minecraft is good to build stuff.

Finally, as you're now on a PC please remember
    NOT TO BUY STUFF AT FULL RETAIL PRICE

Check the following for cheap prices before you buy anything;
    www.greenmangaming.com
    www.g2play.net
    www.kinguin.net

https://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals
    www.isthereanydeal.com
    Oh, and www.humblebundle.com can be good sometimes for multi-game deals.

Apart from Steam, Origin is used for many of the Battlefield games. Heck, install Origin anyway, and look at it every so often for the free games it gives you :P Oh, and also install uPlay. A couple of games that you get in Steam generally need uPlay installed if the game is by Ubisoft.

Kinguin & G2Play are the same company.
    And they are grey-market (additionally, they are banned on IsThereAnyDeal & r/GameDeals)

Keys bought there are at your own risk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,572 ✭✭✭EoinHef

K.O.Kiki wrote: »
    Kinguin & G2Play are the same company.
    And they are grey-market (additionally, they are banned on IsThereAnyDeal & r/GameDeals)

Keys bought there are at your own risk.

While the above is true,ive bought plenty of games from these evil key sellers and never had one revoked. Personally i stick to game keys only and avoid thier offers on steam gifts or anything that has to be activated by a VPN.

So id say its personal preference,there is a small risk but as long as the purchaser can live with that go for it.

EoinHef wrote: »
    While the above is true,ive bought plenty of games from these evil key sellers and never had one revoked. Personally i stick to game keys only and avoid thier offers on steam gifts or anything that has to be activated by a VPN.

So id say its personal preference,there is a small risk but as long as the purchaser can live with that go for it.

While I created an entire thread for this in Gaming General - it's not a question of if keys will be revoked (no company can afford the bad PR of this), it's a question of supporting developers financially; credit card fraud costs them sales AND chargebacks.

Just because you (the consumer) never sees it, doesn't mean it's not happening.

Advertisement