Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Options with an ailing Honda Accord

Options
  • 16-08-2016 9:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭

Hi folks, just looking for perspectives here. I have been driving for ten years but luckily I have never gotten into the situation I am now where I need to fork out some wonga to sort out a car.

I have 2006 Honda Accord 2.2 CTDI. The NCT is up and from my last service I knew that there were upcoming issues with the suspension. There are mild effects on handling but the front passenger tyre is wearing very badly (and really it needs a new tyre (which will probably wear really quickly if I don't sort the suspension)).

I had it in the main dealer today for the airbag recall and I asked could they have a look at the suspension and see what work they think needed to be done.

The inspection came up with the following:

- Requires rear anti-roll bar bushes - €115 inc (they all say inc --- not sure is this including VAT or including VAT and labour)
    - Requires both front top arms - €690 inc
    - Bottom arm bushes starting to split - €265 inc

Also the guy noted that the front and rear brake pads were low and a possible NCT failure. Front pads €144, Rear pads €112.

Now the long and the short of it getting this car through the NCT is going to cost of the order of €1300-2000 if I get this work done. I am paying €280 a quarter on tax. I am getting married next year so this is obviously a headache I don't need but I have a permanent job so am credit worthy. If I really had to I could take the cash out of the wedding savings if this was a no-brainer.

My impression is that the car is more or less worthless without the NCT. I suppose I could try and ask the garage could we try and chance the NCT for as cheap as possible?

My options after that aren't great.

1. Drive on for a little while with a half-fixed suspension that might deteriorate before I get the funds to finish the job.
    2. Selling it isn't really an option because there is a lot of body damage on it that would have to be fixed before I could possibly sell it to a private seller.
    3. Scrappage. "Politically" this might be a problem: although it might make sense financially with my income rising, the tax on the Accord and the lack of resale value, I told the fiancée I would be happy to give her the 162 and I take her 05 Ibiza but she is only recently a full licence holder and feels she has no business in a 162 (maybe I could drive the 162 until she is happy to take it)... if anyone could explain why this is a good option I would love to take it.
    4. Get it through the NCT and trade it in with a dealer (and buy another car, possibly with a bit of a bank loan). Although the problems with the bodywork and the unfixed suspension would of course be a problem.

Actually all of these sound like arguments to just get the work done. I might email the garage and ask them about getting two schedules of work done:

1. to get her through the NCT (and one lump of money)
    2. to finish the suspension fix (about a month/two later with another lump of money)

Also get a better idea of the quotes vis a vis labour.

I suppose any advice would be welcomed. Of course I was mad to buy such a car (with the tax and it being pre-2008) but I still love driving it so it isn't the end of the world.

Comments

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

how much do you want for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

Original Honda parts are usually expensive, you would save a lot if you brought it to an independent. The most cost effective way to pass the NCT would be to have the lights and levels checked and the lights focused and then put it through the test - then work off the fail sheet and put it through a retest.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,906 ✭✭✭✭CJhaughey

All those parts are available from good quality spurious suppliers, Blueprint top arms are around 150ea, bottom bushes are available 15ea
    antiroll bar bushes are 15 ea for genuine.
    Labour in an indy will cost less than the main dealer.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,099 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Original Honda parts are usually expensive, you would save a lot if you brought it to an independent.
    This and what CJ wrote. IMH you'd want to be nuts/made of money to bring it to a Honda main stealer dealer. Especially here in Ireland where the extra Paddy Tax(™) is in full effect with Honda*. There will be significant savings by going independent. Nigh on 700 quid for top suspension arms is eye swivellingly crazy. 144 quid for standard road car brake pads? What are they made from, compacted unicorn droppings?

*recently I needed a couple of parts for my Honda. Got them in the UK from an official dealer and with postage(heavy items too) were just over half the price of an official dealer here(Dublin).

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,551 ✭✭✭SeaFields

Wibbs wrote: »

*recently I needed a couple of parts for my Honda. Got them in the UK from an official dealer and with postage(heavy items too) were just over half the price of an official dealer here(Dublin).

I've also used this approach with my accord and a friend helped me fit them in one case (general service) and an indy in another (brake calliper) and saved a fortune on what it would have cost otherwise.

Don't despair OP, that accord will serve you well for awhile yet. Just stay away from the main dealer. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,893 ✭✭✭rex-x

It also takes less than 3 minutes to fit the rear arb bushes to that model, they could not be easier to do!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭D0NNELLY

Use the list from Honda to buy the parts on Mick's garage, then drop the lot into a local recommended independent mechanic.. be looking at around 600 all in, then keep the car. Knowing the history of a car is worth something.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

Was that a main dealer pricing you? Extortionate prices. Find a good independent mechanic.

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chippy01

OP, take a search through here - http://www.lingshondaparts.com/

My OH has a '08 Civic hybrid and the mirror mounted indicator was cracked and turning green. I priced one at a Honda garage and they quoted me around €124ish + vat (came to €156 total) - Yep, just for the indicator bit, NOT the whole mirror!!

I got one in from Lings for €83 including postage, and only took a couple of days to arrive. This was back in January so prices may be different from now.

Lings have my vote.

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

XR3i wrote: »
    how much do you want for it?

Are you a vulture?:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭Jippo

Thank you all for your valuable advice.

I am going to approach an independent garage.

Advertisement