Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Saab 93

Options
  • 16-08-2016 8:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

I considering buying a Saab 93 1.9 diesel auto.

From what I have seen the autos are all 150bhp, im aware that they use an opel engine. How reliable are these cars? Is there any particular issues I should check for.

Alternatively can anyone think of another nake of car that matches a Saab for value for money and reasonable running costs. My max budget is 2500, maxium engine capacity is 2.0 litre and needs to be diesel and automatic.
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

It's actually a Fiat designed and build engine that GM bought and fitted to the likes of Opel, Saab, Chrysler, etc.

Being honest, how reliable a 2,500 diesel Saab or any car for that matter will probably depend on the individual car and how it was maintained rather than reputation. In that price range you will be looking at a very high mileage example so thread carefully.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

How many miles/year do you do?

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭steveshort

Im doing 25+ miles a year, it rules out a petrol car unfortunately as I prefer petrol cars.
    I understand that with a small budget my choices are limited.
    I know I will have to buy carefully. Ive heard the pug 407 are troublesome as are the Audis of this vintage,and im avoiding Bmws as any in my price range will be complete dogs.
    I think the Saab or Skoda Octivia with the 1.9 engine are safer options.

Have a look at the Saab 9-5, Rover 75 & MGZT. If you can stomach the tax (another €1/day), the Volvo S60 D5 is pretty unbeatable as a bangernomics bargain these days.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭mulbot

What year are you buying? I've had two 93,the vector sport 1.9 diesel,05 reg,and an 08 ttid,beautiful cars to own,I did have issues with the 05 though,It was an electrical issue,which I do know they suffered some bother with, the rear ECU which controlled brakelights etc went a bit haywire. The 08 was perfect all the time I had it-only sold when I moved abroad,but back now and am looking for another. If you find one and can see it's no issues then I couldn't recommend a better car for the money

• Advertisement

Id consider the 95, though it may be a little big for my needs, the Rover or MG I feel are too much of an old mans car.
    If I was willing to push the tax higher id buy a C 220 cdi, but we ready have a 2.0 litre car to tax and buying a second will leave or annual tax bill at over €1400.

mulbot wrote: »
    What year are you buying? I've had two 93,the vector sport 1.9 diesel,05 reg,and an 08 ttid,beautiful cars to own,I did have issues with the 05 though,It was an electrical issue,which I do know they suffered some bother with, the rear ECU which controlled brakelights etc went a bit haywire. The 08 was perfect all the time I had it-only sold when I moved abroad,but back now and am looking for another. If you find one and can see it's no issues then I couldn't recommend a better car for the money
    Cheers for the useful I information,good too hear their generally reliable.
    Ill check all rear electrics if I view any more

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

Have a '08 93 Vector diesel manual 150break and I love it. I keep it serviced regularly so absolutely no trouble ever.

It's a fun car, it's so spacious and it looks a lot better than your Passat/A4/407
    Whenever this one does kick the bucket I'll be going same again.

Can I ask why you want an auto?

Good stuff, I had hear that they where reliable cars.
    I want an auto due to my left knee. It got broken about 12 years ago and occasionally csuses my discomfort and has me limping

steveshort wrote: »
    Id consider the 95, though it may be a little big for my needs, the Rover or MG I feel are too much of an old mans car.
    If I was willing to push the tax higher id buy a C 220 cdi, but we ready have a 2.0 litre car to tax and buying a second will leave or annual tax bill at over €1400.
    Are you hoping to get a 08-on for €2500?!

• Advertisement

commited wrote: »
    Are you hoping to get a 08-on for €2500?!
    Hell no , im looking at 06. Id never expect to get an 08 in my budget. I do even think id save any money on road tax buying an 08 auto,

Sorry misread, thought you were saying you didn't want a tax bill of €1400 :)

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭idnkph

I'm in the same boat as you OP. Small budget and needing a diesel. It's a mine field altogether and I have about 800 more than you too spend. There are some nice Saab's out there. It's finding the right one with service history and timing belts etc done that is the problem.
    Can I ask you why your writing of the BMW?

commited wrote: »
    Sorry misread, thought you were saying you didn't want a tax bill of €1400 :)
    I dont want paying any tax lol,
    The point I was making was €1400 was my max limit that I was willing to spend on road tax

idnkph wrote: »
    I'm in the same boat as you OP. Small budget and needing a diesel. It's a mine field altogether and I have about 800 more than you too spend. There are some nice Saab's out there. It's finding the right one with service history and timing belts etc done that is the problem.
    Can I ask you why your writing of the BMW?
    Yea its a mine field alright.
    Ive viewed 3 saabs and a skoda. I didnt even make an offer or 2 of the saabs or the skoda, thry where complete sheads.
    Im ignoring the bmw as there wont be any in my price range that I afford,any that are in my price range will be on their last legs.
    The Saab seems to be underated and prices reflect this

• Registered Users Posts: 1,817 ✭✭✭mulbot

OP,just another reminder,if you do look at the 93,the higher powered model(150bhp) be sure to check the flywheel and clutch-the flywheel is known to be weak enough for the horsepower (150bhp) and it's just to make sure you dont buy one that's on it's way out-they're expensive enough to replace

mulbot wrote: »
    OP,just another reminder,if you do look at the 93,the higher powered model(150bhp) be sure to check the flywheel and clutch-the flywheel is known to be weak enough for the horsepower (150bhp) and it's just to make sure you dont buy one that's on it's way out-they're expensive enough to replace
    Thanks for the advice, but ill only be looking at automatics, and as I understand the saab uses a conventional automatic transmission with a torque converter inplace of the flywheel.

• Registered Users Posts: 785 ✭✭✭Zurbaran

Are there many problems with the 2008 petrols to look out for and does biopower mean anything??

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Zurbaran wrote: »
    Are there many problems with the 2008 petrols to look out for and does biopower mean anything??

Bio-power, I think, means it can run on 85% ethanol. That's not available here, but I think you can use normal petrol.

Not your ornery onager

Advertisement