Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ignition fuse location

Options
  • 16-08-2016 5:09pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 6

Looking to put in a new radio but was told to run a wire to the ignition fuse but can't seem to find it my car is a 02 Audi a3

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,940 ✭✭✭Bigus

Not quiet what you were told I'd guess.

Maybe you have to run one wire to a constant live ( for memory )

And a second wire to a live that goes dead when the ingnition is turned off .

Bad wiring can cause a fire , so I'd advise if it's not a matching plug in socket I'd get professional help.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Unless you're confident you can do this job DIY I'd go with a pro.
    At least start with getting a quote from one or two professionals and then decide if it's worth it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 RaptorChant

When I bought the radio in the store it didn't turn on at first when I connected but went back the manager came out had a look an told me run a wire to the ignition fuse so that it would turn on and off and that with any other fuse it would constantly be on. On the fuse panel at the door it gives a list of the fuses an what there for but none of which say ignition so wondering could the fuse be somewhere else?

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Isn't there some standard advice about connecting the red to yellow and vice-versa?

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 RaptorChant

Yeah tried that but the yellow wasn't going to any of the wires in the last connector block for some reason and I think that's why the lad told me to connect a wire to the ignition fuse from the yellow

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,855 ✭✭✭nd

I know on a 04 passat you can get a switched 12v from the relay post that has 75x written above it.
    DSC00329.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

nd wrote: »
    I know on a 04 passat you can get a switched 12v from the relay post that has 75x written underneath it.

Yeah, there's a post under the steering wheel area where you can get a switched 12V if you want.

Doesn't stop rednecks battering things in with a shovel any ol way. There ain't no electrical connection like a "twisht it, shpit, an tape it" connection wha?

Advertisement