Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ambulance!!

Options
  • 16-08-2016 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 16

Hi Folks,

Just bought a 1995 Transit Ambulance,

Id be interested in knowing if anyone else has experience with these?

In the process of redoing the conversion job on it to get it right!!

Thanks
    J

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Trawl back a few posts, all the info is there.

Hi JBE & welcome.

Any rust?

I wouldn't worry about getting it right as much as making serviceable items accessible for retrofit.

First you need a layout sometimes that involves sitting in the back with a notepad and some fittings sitting on props.

Are you insulating the living compartment? You might consider Waxoyling the interior under the insulation to prevent cold bridges, sitting water damage and condensation.

Next is electrics first fix. Run all your cables to lights, switches mains sockets, 12volt sockets, appliance power, assign a control panel area, a distribution/charger/switchgear area, a hook-up point and a battery compartment. Leave plenty of slack (2m) on the cable ends and labels for later termination. If you can't bury cables under the panelling then trunking may be best. If you seal the battery compartment you can vent it outside and run flooded lead acid batteries which are the bestest (when combined with a good charger with a 14.7V absorption charge set-point).
    I recommend 12Volt lighting with a changeover transformer to run them on mains this means you can use the same fixtures for lighting from all power sources. Or just keep it simple and use 12volt lighting and a load compensating mains charger.
    Also an inverter - mains changeover is very handy to use the same sockets for both and it's self discriminating. Make sure any mains battery chargers are isolated to the mains only side though.

Next consider kitchen and heating..gas, electric or both?
    Gas compartment...needs a sink hole through the chassis and enough room for 2 bottles and plumbing (by an RGI...whistling.gif).
    Electric refrigeration will demand a relatively large battery payload and a dedicated 2m² of solar panels but it'll pay for itself in gas saved very quickly (depending on use).

After that panelling 8mm ply will suffice, paint both sides (if you are ply lining) and permanent fixtures; benches, dance floor, storage, kitchen, bed; built to mock fit but not yet installed.

Second fix electrics after the panelling is in but before the fittings.

Permanent bed or demountable? Mine is suspended from the ceiling from the corners of the U channel so lifts while made to reveal side long facing rock and roll benches underneath. It's tied off on cleats but if I was to do it again I'd use a boat winch and electric drive because it's bleedin' heavy and cumbersome. It travels wedged between the benches.

Cup washers are a nice touch for finishing and increasing the strength of screws.

It helps to have all the materials at hand before you start so you can mock things up to suit.

Simples! Have fun.

EDIT: holes for windows, flues, vents, valves, power inlets/outlets etc..probably best tackled first-ish

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I have space for two gas bottles but only ever bring one as i have only managed to go through 1 bottle a year if even that. Though I have a spare at home and would normally swap in a full bottle if going away for a a few weeks.

I wouldn't bother trying to save space by going as far as a half bottle. At least you can get a full bottle anywhere (in Ireland anyway)

I have two 5kgs that last 3 weeks each fueling my stoopid absorption fridge. Waking up with no gas for coffee will ruin yer day. Two (half) bottles mean you are never far below 50% capacity.
    They last months without the fridge.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

I have two 5kgs that last 3 weeks each fueling my stoopid absorption fridge. Waking up with no gas for coffee will ruin yer day. Two (half) bottles mean you are never far below 50% capacity.
    They last months without the fridge.

I don't do a lot of wild camping. Is the fridge a big consumer?

• Advertisement

Yurp stoopid contraption. ~2kW per day compared to a compressor runs at ~360W per day.
    Thermo-electric and absorption fridges are the enemy of wild camping.

PV is so cheap these days there's no good reason for 3 way fridges with stoopid manual thermostats. I just don't wanna fork out another €500 for another extortionate fridge. CrabbyP is running a domestic fridge on a TSW inverter for a fraction of the cost with a slightly higher daily consumption. bowdown.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 jbe

Thanks for all the replies folks.

The van is coming along nicely, all electrics complete, went with a full 12v circuit seprated from the starter battery & charged inline with a multi step charger which automatically turns on once the 240v hookup is connected. SOurced a 3way fridge, 80L fresh water tank, plumbed the gas out externally & almost finished the carpentry inside also.

It's turning out pretty nice I must say, though I didnt expect the amount of work in it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

Pics.

I think because Im new enough to boards I cant upload pictureS?

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

jbe wrote: »
    I think because Im new enough to boards I cant upload pictureS?

Maybe to post pics in the thread but if you have the pics already stored on some hosting site you should be able to include a link to that hosting site.

• Advertisement

Try this link & see sure!

goo.gl/photos/yspJNH2s27zSv411A

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Benbecul97

Yep, can see the pics there!
    Fair play to you - serious amount of work and looks great, enjoy it!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,458 ✭✭✭lennymc

Looking good!! Where did you get your foam?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭crabbypaddy

Bigmickey.ie in longford supplied a kingsize piece of foam for me for €50 he can supply any size, any firmness if you order it in advance.

Ikea has cheap options too:
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/children-3-7/childrens-mattresses/vyssa-slappna-mattress-for-extendable-bed-white-art-40213453/

• Registered Users Posts: 48 0kee

Nice job jbe! The transit ambulance look great. I met a guy at Body and Soul who had one and was almost finished converting it. We have a 97 Sprinter ambulance. Been working on it for over a year. Drives great, brought it over to the south coast UK and Cornwall last month. Not too big for the small roads and really maneuverable. Also you get a lot of room on UK roads with a battered old ambulance with Irish plates :)
    Have the annual CRVT tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Hi Folks,

New photos up now under the same link!

Got the foam off a guy I do the IT for here in Little Island in cork, very reasonable & top quality work. If anyone is looking for services pm me & I can put you in touch!

J

That sounds awesome 0kee, have you any photos? Id love to see it. let me know how it goes with the cvrt. I got most of the flooring & final fittings done at the weekend so Im thinking her maiden voyage may well be in the next two weeks. Exciting times!

• Company Representative Posts: 1,479 ✭✭✭bigmickey.ie

Bigmickey.ie in longford supplied a kingsize piece of foam for me for €50 he can supply any size, any firmness if you order it in advance.

Ikea has cheap options too:
    http://www.ikea.com/ie/en/products/childrens-ikea-products/children-3-7/childrens-mattresses/vyssa-slappna-mattress-for-extendable-bed-white-art-40213453/

Always glad to help on here. Thanks

Advertisement