Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Learning to drive away from home

Options
  • 16-08-2016 4:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭

Firstly, apologies if this is in the wrong forum. I have just finished college, and I've come to the realisation that I really should get around to learning to drive.

I've moved back home for the time being, however once I get a job I will likely have to move to Galway/Dublin or the likes.

The main problem is I can't see how I could learn to drive in this case, as I would need an accompanying driver, which I wouldn't have available.

The other option is to live at home for a while, and get help from my parents, but the only suitable jobs in my area would make it hard to afford running a car in the first place.

Just wondering how other people have managed in the same situation, it seems like a bit of a catch 22 to me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,921 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

People learn to drive without having driven anything other than the instructors car. It'll cost more as you'll need more lessons for practice but it's possible, we are one of the few countries that allow learners out without an instructor most don't let you drive till you pass the test.

• Registered Users Posts: 74 ✭✭mansoff

When I started a new job they told me I needed a full drivers licence. They were kind to pay for 10 lessons and after those lessons I applied and passed my test. I did not have time to pick up any bad habits. You can do it if you really need to but you will need a good driving instructor and lots of lessons. Best of luck.

Advertisement