Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mature Student Grants etc

Options
  • 16-08-2016 11:10am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

Hi there,

I've been searching through threads and I'm not 100% confident on the answer so was wondering if someone can help me.

I am currently 22 and looking to return as a mature student. I am in full time work at the moment and won't be eligible to apply as a mature until 2018. Should I leave my full time job and not work in 2017 in order to be eligible for a grant as a mature student?

I have been reading through all the material here but just want to be sure.

Many thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,725 ✭✭✭CZ 453

Hi there,

I've been searching through threads and I'm not 100% confident on the answer so was wondering if someone can help me.

I am currently 22 and looking to return as a mature student. I am in full time work at the moment and won't be eligible to apply as a mature until 2018. Should I leave my full time job and not work in 2017 in order to be eligible for a grant as a mature student?

I have been reading through all the material here but just want to be sure.

Many thanks in advance.

It depends on how much you earn and where you live? Do you live at home with your parents? Do you cohabit?

https://susi.ie/eligibility/applicant-class/

• Registered Users Posts: 4 odhranmahony

At the moment I live in rented accomodation and not at home. I am 21 turning 22 in September. I am from Kerry and work in Kerry.

I was wondering if the best course of action is to leave my job and not work in 2017 so that when I am means tested I would get a grant. I don't come from a rich background but parents used to own restaurant so the government automatically assumes we are loaded. That's why I can't afford college right now.

Pulling this quote from CitizensInformation

"To be assessed as an independent mature candidate you must also live separately from your parents from 1 October of the year before the year of entry to the course. If you are an independent student, you are assessed on your own income (and that of your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant, if applicable)."

Can I live with another family member such as a grandparent?

I know you may not have all the answers but all info is appreciated as I want to get out of where I am

At the moment I live in rented accomodation and not at home. I am 21 turning 22 in September. I am from Kerry and work in Kerry.

I was wondering if the best course of action is to leave my job and not work in 2017 so that when I am means tested I would get a grant. I don't come from a rich background but parents used to own restaurant so the government automatically assumes we are loaded. That's why I can't afford college right now.

Pulling this quote from CitizensInformation

"To be assessed as an independent mature candidate you must also live separately from your parents from 1 October of the year before the year of entry to the course. If you are an independent student, you are assessed on your own income (and that of your spouse, civil partner or cohabitant, if applicable)."

Can I live with another family member such as a grandparent?

I know you may not have all the answers but all info is appreciated as I want to get out of where I am

The grandparents income will be taken into account also. You'll have to show you are renting if you want to be assessed as independent(bills, etc).

The income thresholds are here:
    https://susi.ie/undergraduate-income-threshold-and-grant-award-rates/

The year I would be in college would be 2018/19 so because they only look at the previous year (2017) I would assume because I don't have full time work and live not with my parents that I would be treated as an independent and only my income would influence it.

So if I leave my job in December of this year and don't work in 2017 and then go to college in September of 2018 when I would be 23 turning 24.

The year I would be in college would be 2018/19 so because they only look at the previous year (2017) I would assume because I don't have full time work and live not with my parents that I would be treated as an independent and only my income would influence it.

So if I leave my job in December of this year and don't work in 2017 and then go to college in September of 2018 when I would be 23 turning 24.

You'd have to prove you are living independently. You'd need utility bills with your name on them or a rent book(registered with PRTB).

• Advertisement

Oh I see what you're getting at now..

Might just pop into the citizens information place here when I have a day off during the week to try suss it out.

Thanks for the help nonetheless!

Advertisement