Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Lexus IS250 tyrewell possible sign of damage

Options
  • 16-08-2016 10:15am
    Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭

I was looking at a 06 Lexus IS250 yesterday. First thing I checked was the area under the cover in the boot, the tyre well area. I've attached pictures. It looks to be like a repair job, like as if it's been rear ended or something. I said this to seller and he seemed genuinely surprised. Today he texted to say that he brought it to his mechanic who told him that it was factory and the front has areas like this too. My reaction was that well the front was damaged too!! But then again I know nothing about these Lexus cars, so maybe this is factory. Anybody on here able to confirm 1 way or the other?

Comments

Doesn't look a repair job to me. If it is it's a top class repair job.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,569 ✭✭✭Special Circumstances

I vote factory

• Registered Users Posts: 525 ✭✭✭acronym Chilli

jj92 wrote: »
    I was looking at a 06 Lexus IS250 yesterday. First thing I checked was the area under the cover in the boot, the tyre well area. I've attached pictures. It looks to be like a repair job, like as if it's been rear ended or something. I said this to seller and he seemed genuinely surprised. Today he texted to say that he brought it to his mechanic who told him that it was factory and the front has areas like this too. My reaction was that well the front was damaged too!! But then again I know nothing about these Lexus cars, so maybe this is factory. Anybody on here able to confirm 1 way or the other?
    I'm interested to hear what this turns out to be (sort of replying to bump).
    My own 2c (probably 1c really), it could also be just the way the car is assembled/built. If you can look at another car you'll know for sure.

Probably also the kind of thing where if you brought it to your own mechanic to check out he'd/she'd be able to answer the question immediately and impartially.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Looks factory to me.

jj92 wrote: »
    ....... It looks to be like a repair job, like as if it's been rear ended or something............ My reaction was that well the front was damaged too!! But then again I know nothing about these Lexus cars............

:pac:

All jokes aside I'd strongly advise you get the car checked out by someone who is more knowledgeable.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

I vote factory too.

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users Posts: 275 ✭✭RootX

Found a pic of the tyre well on the net
    http://www.clublexus.com/gallery/data/4743/IMG_0362.jpg

I vote factory too.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭commited

Looks factory to me

• Registered Users Posts: 21,433 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Me too. Most car manufacturers seal joints like that with a kind of mastic sealant before painting, and don't seem bothered if it's a bit untidy which is fair enough I suppose if it's not normally visible.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 891 ✭✭✭Falcon L

I'd go with factory too. The paint discolouration is probably down to something being spilled in the boot at some stage.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,945 ✭✭✭kravmaga

Factory

• Registered Users Posts: 81,514 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I've seen the very same on Lexus's and Toyotas, factory too I'd say.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,157 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Go view another IS and check the same area, that will tell you whether it's design or repair.

• Registered Users Posts: 123 ✭✭jj92

bazz26 wrote: »
    Go view another IS and check the same area, that will tell you whether it's design or repair.

Thanks for all the replies folks. I saw a GS300 today, not the same model but it had kinda similar rough looking joinings on the panels. If I get another drive in an IS250 I'll post up a pic.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭Truckermal

My GS is the same too so nothing to worry about, I was going to say it was rear ended by a Focus..

*Gets coat*.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,917 ✭✭✭kirving

I've seen similar before from factory, I'd have no issue with it. Can't remember what it's called but it's a type of metallic glue that is better for sealing panels together -particularly when the likes of a bolt could allow water ingress.

Advertisement