Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Frames online or not?

Options
  • 16-08-2016 9:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭

I will soon need to replace lenses and frames. Being used to a particular frame type over the years, I wanted to replace with a similar type frame etc. I checked with opticians and although they do not stock the particular frame that I am interested in, they can purchase it to order. I can also order it online for 61% less than price quoted by opticians. Is the practice of supplying own frames generally acceptable or frowned upon by opticians? - I have already established that the frame in question is suitable for varifocal lenses etc. etc. I was surprised that, in the event of using existing frames, there is a additional charge of €80.00. I do ever recall ever having to pay additional fees for using existing frames previously, obviously things have changed over the years.

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 249 ✭✭Frigating

What frame type were you interested in?

If you're aiming to save money (that 80 quid charge is a bit ridiculous) and don't mind getting them online, I'd recommend zenni optical. They've a lot of types of frames, and will make your glasses cheaper than your optition

• Registered Users Posts: 21 doozerydoo

Once you have your prescription for the lenses the optician shouldn't have a problem putting them in to your own frames. My girlfriend has done this a few times, bought frames on line and got the lenses put in by her optician. It saves a fortune!

• Registered Users Posts: 865 ✭✭✭Maidhci

Frigating wrote: »
    What frame type were you interested in?

If you're aiming to save money (that 80 quid charge is a bit ridiculous) and don't mind getting them online, I'd recommend zenni optical. They've a lot of types of frames, and will make your glasses cheaper than your optition

I am interested in rimless and the selection at the opticians was minimal, to put it mildly. Thanks for the information.

doozerydoo wrote: »
    Once you have your prescription for the lenses the optician shouldn't have a problem putting them in to your own frames. My girlfriend has done this a few times, bought frames on line and got the lenses put in by her optician. It saves a fortune!

Thanks for that information. Do you have any idea of the cost of fitting?

I think the usual practice is that the frame is purchased at the practice of the optician/ophthalmologist, who perform the test etc. etc. I do not understand the reasoning that in instances where frames are supplied by the patient, there is an additional charge, ranging from €80 - €100, for fitting. These apparently have to be sent away for fitting and not done inhouse, as in the case of frames purchased locally. After all, the supplied frames will be exactly similar to frames purchased inhouse? Any ideas?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

When you buy a frame in the practice the cost of the lenses and the cutting, drilling and fitting is included in the frame price.

When you buy a frame elsewhere and bring it in to them they still need to get the lenses and cut drill and fit them to the frame however as you got the frame elsewhere the cost of this needs to be met.

As it's rimless the material of the lenses also isn't the standard material used in full rim glasses, so to be honest the quote of 80 is quite reasonable. Consider all the above and the fact they need to pay postage to send them out and a delivery fee to get them back.

• Advertisement

RiseToMe wrote: »
    When you buy a frame in the practice the cost of the lenses and the cutting, drilling and fitting is included in the frame price.

When you buy a frame elsewhere and bring it in to them they still need to get the lenses and cut drill and fit them to the frame however as you got the frame elsewhere the cost of this needs to be met.

As it's rimless the material of the lenses also isn't the standard material used in full rim glasses, so to be honest the quote of 80 is quite reasonable. Consider all the above and the fact they need to pay postage to send them out and a delivery fee to get them back.

Thanks for that clarification RiseToMe - it makes sense. In this instance, the quote was broken down into 3 parts - eye examination, lenses and frame. I had therefore assumed that the cost of drilling, cutting and fitting was included in the cost of lens.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,272 ✭✭✭RiseToMe

Not the case I'm afraid, your lenses would be costed separately as they were varifocal.

The workmanship /workshop costs would have been included in the frame price not the lens price (typically anyway), but once you are supplying your own frame those costs need to be met elsewhere hence the additional charge.

The workshop cost for rimless can be costly, as it's both time consuming and it has a higher likelihood of damage owing to the nature its construction method. If the lenses/frame are damaged in the process they need to be replaced and all this is factored into the cost.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,268 ✭✭✭✭uck51js9zml2yt

I've bought from glasses2you the last few times and was very happy with them.
    They are in the UK and have regular discounts.

Advertisement