Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert German after 12 Years

Options
  • 16-08-2016 9:18am
    Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭

Hi all,

I am considering sitting Leaving Cert German 12 years after my original leaving cert. I did not sit German then.

I am planning to move to Germany in the next couple of years with my career and I would like to be as a proficient in German as possible and also I presume having a good secondary level achievement in German will help with prospective employers in my industry over there.

Could anybody advise me where to start, what books to get. I did sit German at junior cert level but dropped it for French so I will be pretty much starting from scratch with the exception of doing some of the Michel Thomas language CDs.

Also if anybody with experience thinks there's a different course or route I should take please leave a suggestion.

Any help would be greatly appreciated,

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 57 ✭✭BigDog101

Apologies for duplicate posts, on a terrible wifi network which kept giving errors after posting.

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭siebey123

Videos on YouTube are excellent and so is the Duolingo app + website. I used the Viel Spa book for my Junior Cert years and it was brilliant :)

We used Deutsch Komplett for 5th & 6th year and it was excellent for phrases and idioms and verbs.

Also set your phone in German , it's so helpful!

Any more questions don't hesitate to PM me :D

Best of luck

• Registered Users Posts: 22,035 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Are you in Dublin? If so, the Goethe Institute run courses at various proficiency levels, afaik.

Not your ornery onager

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,483 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

There are other ways to give yourself a target besides the LC. The Goethe Institute do exams at 6 levels and the highest would be above the LC (and the lower ones below it). It can be difficult to find a place that will let you sit just one LC subject, so good to have options.

Thank you all very much for your replies.

I will research the Goethe Institute, I hope they offer distance learning as it would be close to impossible to do an evening course or similar as I currently work a very abnormal roster pattern.

I will get myself some reading material to get started in the mean time as I am very keen to do so.

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭everesteduc

If attending a course is difficult you could consider doing Leaving Cert German as an external student. No need to attend any classes. www.examinations.ie will have the application form around Christmas. It'll be about €110 for 1 subject. The oral will be sometime in April probably.

Having researched the Goethe institute it looks great, they offer an online course for 8 or 16 weeks per level or 1/2 level.

As part of these online courses there is a mandatory online tutoring session every two weeks (as would be expected to work on conversation and pronunciation).

Unfortunately I would not be able to guarantee my attendance due to my work commitments. I work in the airline industry which means I have an erratic roster with many changes at short notice.

For now I guess I will start with some of the reading material from the school syllabus.

My girlfriend is also joining me in learning German so we'll work on the reading material together and also look into private tutoring to help with our pronunciation and conversation skills. :)

Advertisement