Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice north of Galway

Options
  • 16-08-2016 1:14am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Making a trip to Ireland in September and looking at playing links courses north of Galway and Dublin. I'm only going to be visiting for a week but definitely interested in playing multiple rounds a day (will be back in April and play the courses south).

I haven't played in Ireland but made a long trip to Wales and Scotland where I played roughly 50 rounds in 3 weeks. I'll be playing alone and was able to play in open comps in Scotland and wales that reduced costs and allowed playing with locals. It appears courses in Ireland require GUI membership in order to play open comps. Is this something put out on the internet or is it actually enforced?

Also are twilight/afternoon discounts common? I'm not seeing many discounted offers aside from online booking discounts.

On my trip through Wales and Scotland I would book the morning round and then just see where I ended up in the afternoon so I'd rather not book the second round of the day and prefer to just drive and see what clubhouse I walk into.

Any advice would be appreciated. I plan to visit carne, enniscrone, ballyliffin, nairn & portnoo, portsalon because they each have international life memberships that I'm interested in taking advantage of in the next year or so. Also plan to get to royal county down because I'm told that's the visiting American thing to do.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭Hoof Hearted2

act0fgod wrote: »
    Making a trip to Ireland in September and looking at playing links courses north of Galway and Dublin. I'm only going to be visiting for a week but definitely interested in playing multiple rounds a day (will be back in April and play the courses south).

I haven't played in Ireland but made a long trip to Wales and Scotland where I played roughly 50 rounds in 3 weeks. I'll be playing alone and was able to play in open comps in Scotland and wales that reduced costs and allowed playing with locals. It appears courses in Ireland require GUI membership in order to play open comps. Is this something put out on the internet or is it actually enforced?

Also are twilight/afternoon discounts common? I'm not seeing many discounted offers aside from online booking discounts.

On my trip through Wales and Scotland I would book the morning round and then just see where I ended up in the afternoon so I'd rather not book the second round of the day and prefer to just drive and see what clubhouse I walk into.

Any advice would be appreciated. I plan to visit carne, enniscrone, ballyliffin, nairn & portnoo, portsalon because they each have international life memberships that I'm interested in taking advantage of in the next year or so. Also plan to get to royal county down because I'm told that's the visiting American thing to do.

The quick answer is "it depends", some clubs do require a GUI membership number when booking and in terms of competing in the competition you must have a GUI membership no. It's also good etiquette to respect this requirement so as to avoid a situation where you you'd have to sign the card for the fellow competitor.
    The best thing to do is contact the club you intend playing and ask if it's ok.
    Regarding cost and twilight rates, most clubs do an early bird rate (most often before 9am) and they also do a twilight rate (again it's usually after 4pm, but depends on the course).
    I'd mention you are interested in purchasing the international membership option next year and you could potentially get a complimentary round.
    Best of luck and enjoy the links experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

If you're only here for a week and you want to squeeze in two full rounds a day then Carne is a bit of an ask. It's a long way from anywhere - though with 27 holes you might find yourself spending a full day there.

Saying you do, then the route is probably something like:

2: Enniscrone and Strandhill
    3: Co Sligo and Co Donegal
    4. Narin and Rosapenna Tom Morris
    5. Rosapenna Sandy Hills and Portsalon
    6. Ballyliffin, both courses.

That's the north west done in one foul swoop, you lucky sod. By the way, the two Sligo courses (Strandhill and Co Sligo) are unmissable, especially so as they're in the middle of your route.

I don't know if you have a day 7, but if you do, the easier one for golf is Royal Portrush and Portstewart (10 minutes apart, about an hour from Ballyliffin). If you don't mind an early morning jaunt from Donegal, then Royal County Down is about 2.5 hrs. Tie it in with County Louth (75 mins south) and you'll only be half an hour from Dublin airport.

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭thewobbler

Also, you'll be surprised at how reasonable the green fees are midweek in September, especially out west. Less so for Portrush or Royal County Down.

Word of advice, don't try to look for a Saturday tee time in any of the Northern Ireland links. It's pretty much members only on all courses apart from the dusk slots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

act0fgod wrote:

If you have a USGA handicap card you might be OK for opens. In any event they won't stop you from playing, you just might not be entered in the comp.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 act0fgod

So here is the tentative itinerary. I'm holding off on the big names due to budget (booked another trip in April to do the southern half). Hotels are booked and making a counter clockwise loop.
    Day 1 - Rush/Ardglass
    Day 2 - Donaghadee/Cairndhu
    Day 3 - Ballycastle
    Day 4 - Portsalon/somewhere maybe Rosapenna or Donegal
    Day 5 - Bundoran/Strandhill
    Day 6 - Carne
    Day 7 - Connemera

Thoughts?

Skipping out on the big name places but after playing some PGA tour stops here in the US recently, I've come to realize the additional quality of the course isn't commensurate with the much higher price (if there is any higher quality). The mid tier places really are a better value for me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,331 ✭✭✭mike12

So here is the tentative itinerary. I'm holding off on the big names due to budget (booked another trip in April to do the southern half). Hotels are booked and making a counter clockwise loop.
    Day 1 - Rush/Ardglass
    Day 3 - Ballycastle
    Day 6 - Carne
    Day 7 - Connemera

Thoughts?

Skipping out on the big name places but after playing some PGA tour stops here in the US recently, I've come to realize the additional quality of the course isn't commensurate with the much higher price (if there is any higher quality). The mid tier places really are a better value for me.

Play donegal or enniscrone instead of bundoran worth the extra green fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,800 ✭✭✭Senna

Yes Bundoran isnt a link course and not worth playing when there is so much better, closer.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,096 ✭✭✭✭PARlance

mike12 wrote: »
    Play donegal or enniscrone instead of bundoran worth the extra green fee.

Enniscrone have upped the green fee to €100, a great course but pricey at that.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Day 1 - Rush/Ardglass
    Day 3 - Ballycastle
    Day 6 - Carne
    Day 7 - Connemera

Thoughts?

Day 1: Nothing wrong with Rush... but you could also consider Corballis which is close by and is 18 holes.
    Day 2: If you're playing Ardglass you're very close to Kirkistown Castle - an 18 hole links designed by James Braid. Neither of the two on your Day 2 list are links. That said, the 2nd hole at Cairndhu is something special.

Day 4. Shame you are missing out Inishowen - you have the two Ballyliffin courses and North West. If Portsalon is the morning round, and you take the coastal route, you'll pass the 18-hole Dunfanaghy and the 9-hole Cruit Island. Narin & Portnoo is also on that route, but if budget is an issue... play Cruit (pronounced Critch).
    Day 5. Agree with the others, that Donegal is a better bet than Bundoran in that area, and worth the extra €€.
    Day 6. Be sure to play all of Carne's 27 holes... and play the new Kilmore 9 twice if you can.
    Day 7. If you can, stop at Mulranny on the way to Connemara. A links course with greens surrounded by electric fencing to keep the cattle and sheep off. Trust me, it's worth the visit.

Photos for all of these are on my Flickr pages, if that helps:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmarkham/albums
    PARlance wrote: »

Agreed... but by charging over €100 they are getting more American golfers, so the tactic is working.

Day 1: Nothing wrong with Rush... but you could also consider Corballis which is close by and is 18 holes.
    Day 2: If you're playing Ardglass you're very close to Kirkistown Castle - an 18 hole links designed by James Braid. Neither of the two on your Day 2 list are links. That said, the 2nd hole at Cairndhu is something special.

Day 4. Shame you are missing out Inishowen - you have the two Ballyliffin courses and North West. If Portsalon is the morning round, and you take the coastal route, you'll pass the 18-hole Dunfanaghy and the 9-hole Cruit Island. Narin & Portnoo is also on that route, but if budget is an issue... play Cruit (pronounced Critch).
    Day 5. Agree with the others, that Donegal is a better bet than Bundoran in that area, and worth the extra €€.
    Day 6. Be sure to play all of Carne's 27 holes... and play the new Kilmore 9 twice if you can.
    Day 7. If you can, stop at Mulranny on the way to Connemara. A links course with greens surrounded by electric fencing to keep the cattle and sheep off. Trust me, it's worth the visit.

Photos for all of these are on my Flickr pages, if that helps:
    https://www.flickr.com/photos/kevinmarkham/albums

Agreed... but by charging over €100 they are getting more American golfers, so the tactic is working.

Kevin is the new 9 in Carne open it looked closed when we were down there for acc in July

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Kevinmarkham

Kevin is the new 9 in Carne open it looked closed when we were down there for acc in July

Mike, that new nine had only opened for the season the week before! It's to do with manpower/finance... of which there isn't enough. Not that surprising given its location etc.
    Here's hoping it remains open... I still think it would make a fabulous hybrid 18 for the ACC

Kevin thanks much, you provided the advice I was hoping to get and the photos are great.

I've changed some hotels and the new itinerary looks like this:
    Day 1 - Corballis/Ardglass
    Day 2 - Kirkistown/Donaghadee (my wife is going to play at Donaghadee and they have a 19 pound with meal deal)
    Day 3 - Ballycastle
    Day 4 - North West/Portsalon
    Day 5 - Dunfanaghy/Strandhill
    Day 6 - Carne
    Day 7 - Connemera

act0fgod wrote:
    I've changed some hotels and the new itinerary looks like this: Day 1 - Corballis/Ardglass Day 2 - Kirkistown/Donaghadee (my wife is going to play at Donaghadee and they have a 19 pound with meal deal) Day 3 - Ballycastle Day 4 - North West/Portsalon Day 5 - Dunfanaghy/Strandhill Day 6 - Carne Day 7 - Connemera

Very curious why you would come all the way to Dublin just to play a very ordinary public course like Corballis.

First it's 20 Euro's. Last weekend I played 4 rounds (it was a holiday weekend). One of the rounds was $350. It was the best conditioned of the courses, it holds a PGA tour event. It was cool to see the trophy case and all (also my home clubs have hosted Majors) but it definitely wasn't 10x as enjoyable as the courses I payed $30 to play.

Second a very ordinary public course to you is very different than what I consider a very ordinary public course.

When I lived in Florida I always wondered why Europeans and Asians would travel and play squishy, water filled courses.

People tend to desire what they don't have.

act0fgod wrote:
    Second a very ordinary public course to you is very different than what I consider a very ordinary public course.

Have you played Corballis? Its OK as a cheap and cheerful links experience but are you seriously suggesting it is worth a diversion to Dublin from a 10 + course itinerary around the North and West coasts?

Within a couple of miles you have The Island, Portmarnock, Portmarnock Links, Royal Dublin (you pass Baltray en route and if money is an issue, you also pass Seapoint).

I've nothing against Corballis - or Rush - for what they are but they seem inconguous additions to the OP's list.

First Up wrote: »
    Have you played Corballis? Its OK as a cheap and cheerful links experience but are you seriously suggesting it is worth a diversion to Dublin from a 10 + course itinerary around the North and West coasts?

I'm landing in Dublin on a red eye and plan to be on the tee shortly after arrival. I don't doubt the courses you list are higher quality but the lowest cost of the bunch seems to be 80 euros, which would be the most expensive course on the trip.

act0fgod wrote:
    I'm landing in Dublin on a red eye and plan to be on the tee shortly after arrival. I don't doubt the courses you list are higher quality but the lowest cost of the bunch seems to be 80 euros, which would be the most expensive course on the trip.

If you are starting in Dublin, then fair enough. Corballis fits your budget. It has some nice holes and a few very poor ones (they stuck 3 in a field on the back 9 to make the 18) but as a low cost introduction to Irish links, it will do the trick.

Enjoy.

First Up wrote: »
    If you are starting in Dublin, then fair enough. Corballis fits your budget. It has some nice holes and a few very poor ones (they stuck 3 in a field on the back 9 to make the 18) but as a low cost introduction to Irish links, it will do the trick.

Enjoy.

When was the last time u played Corballis, the 3 holes in a field haven't been there for 5 years

mike12 wrote:
    When was the last time u played Corballis, the 3 holes in a field haven't been there for 5 years

Longer than five years so.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭RoadRunner

I'm landing in Dublin on a red eye and plan to be on the tee shortly after arrival.

Don't expect much from the corballis clubhouse, but once you get going enjoy what might be the best value green fee you'll ever pay. Hole 2 is unsighted, normally a 9i to landing area then a full wedge in to green (if calm) - getting that one right will help you enjoy the round from the start. V. tricky without a guide, perhaps put out a message here when you're playing you might get myself or someone else from here who can join.

• Advertisement

Like the trip missing out on the expensive courses,
    Someone in here should give u a good guide to Corballis as its tough to know where to hit on your first visit out there
    Only driver needed on 4 or 5 holes and just play to where u can see and u won't go far wrong.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

PARlance wrote: »

Mad isn't it?

we played there Saturday for €40 with a golfnow deal.

Have u checked out online tee times some deals on some of the courses u are playing.

Have u checked out online tee times some deals on some of the courses u are playing.
    Yup I've booked a number of them. I kind of feel bad using golf now hot deals knowing the course gets no revenue from the round but have to remember the course has decided to use the program. I'll also likely grab some food at the courses.

I'm leaving home tomorrow but have to attend a family wedding before the golf starts on the 19th.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ExPaddy

Yup I've booked a number of them. I kind of feel bad using golf now hot deals knowing the course gets no revenue from the round but have to remember the course has decided to use the program. I'll also likely grab some food at the courses.

I'm leaving home tomorrow but have to attend a family wedding before the golf starts on the 19th.

Irish golf has truly become an incredible rip-off over the past few years for NON-GUI 'visitors'... I grew up in Ireland and usually go back once a year... was just looking at planning a trip and bringing some international friends but have been put off by what looks like discriminatory rip-offs... Why should a visitor to places like Strand Hill or Bundoran GC - just for example - pay TWICE+ the green fee of a GUI visitor??? Does Portugal, or the US, charge international visitors double the rate of their citizens??? The GUI membership is merely an 'excuse'... even 'OPEN' days are not 'open' to visitors - and I bet it will remain that way even in 2020 when worldwide handicapping system starts...

Well a couple years after the trip. I really do love trips to play links in Ireland/Scotland/Wales. Now that I'm living in Hawaii the trips across the pacific the us and then the atlantic are tough to justify. I really did enjoy the trip and here is the itinerary I ended with:

Ardglass
    Kirkistown Castle (open comp)
    Donaghadee
    Ballycastle (open comp)
    North West (left my clubs in the car park)
    Portsalon (showed up and realized my clubs were not in the car - pro called back to North West for me and must have felt for me and he gave me a rental set to use for my round).
    Strandhill
    Carne

Bizarre circumstances at Portsalon but when I move back to the east coast of the US I plan to get my overseas membership there (wish they were able to get a few more links holes instead of the final stretch they do have).

Also like I said earlier I really enjoy the value of these mid tier courses and when I go to Ireland I don't really want to play with a bunch of other Americans.

• Registered Users Posts: 7 ExPaddy

Well a couple years after the trip. I really do love trips to play links in Ireland/Scotland/Wales. Now that I'm living in Hawaii the trips across the pacific the us and then the atlantic are tough to justify. I really did enjoy the trip and here is the itinerary I ended with:

Ardglass
    Kirkistown Castle (open comp)
    Donaghadee
    Ballycastle (open comp)
    North West (left my clubs in the car park)
    Portsalon (showed up and realized my clubs were in the car - pro called back to North West for me and must have felt for me and he gave me a rental set to use for my round).
    Strandhill
    Carne

Bizarre circumstances at Portsalon but when I move back to the east coast of the US I plan to get my overseas membership there (wish they were able to get a few more links holes instead of the final stretch they do have).

Also like I said earlier I really enjoy the value of these mid tier courses and when I go to Ireland I don't really want to play with a bunch of other Americans.

Have played lots of courses over there as grew up there and vacationed in the caravan park at rosses point as a kid almost every year.
    I'm on East coast US... Play in golfmission events NJ,PA,MD... can google..
    Am considering an Irish overseas membership also - was thinking Enniscrone. That way get a GUI and play in open weeks...

How did you play the Open Competition at Kirkistown and Ballycastle without GUI? Do they bother to check?
    What is cost of a Portsalon overseas???

Love that areas and rosapenna... my dad's first job was at that hotel..
    Wondering if in 2020 with Worldwide handicap if can simply join and get GUI without having to play 3 rounds with a member....

ExPaddy wrote: »
    How did you play the Open Competition at Kirkistown and Ballycastle without GUI? Do they bother to check?
    What is cost of a Portsalon overseas???

Love that areas and rosapenna... my dad's first job was at that hotel..
    Wondering if in 2020 with Worldwide handicap if can simply join and get GUI without having to play 3 rounds with a member....

Regarding the open comps I can't say for certain as it was a couple years ago but I do know I contacted the clubs where the website description for the comp said GUI handicap required and asked if my USGA handicap would be sufficient. If the description just stated a valid handicap I just entered. You mentioned Enniscrone and I still have the e-mail from them saying I couldn't play without the GUI handicap.

I have a word document of various overseas pricing (I'm looking primarily at life memberships as I'm in my 30's). The info is definitely dated at this point but I have Portsalon overseas life - €2,500 (If I remember correctly it wasn't really a life membership but was for a specified number of years).

Advertisement