Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wesport Quay \ Achill overnight?

Options
  • 15-08-2016 11:36pm
    Registered Users Posts: 839 ✭✭✭

Anyone stayed here recently, is overnight parking tolerated and safe enough?

Any recommendations on non campsite overnight spots in Achill?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 384 ✭✭SeamusG97

kelbal wrote: »
    Anyone stayed here recently, is overnight parking tolerated and safe enough?

Any recommendations on non campsite overnight spots in Achill?
    There's a parking space directly in front of the campsite in keel. There aren't any services available though and the campsite weren't able to help last time I was there. The public toilets nearby had boulders around them and were closed.
    PM if you need to know where to empty a cassette responsibly.

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭demoreino

There are lots of places on Achill Island suitable for safe wild camping .
    The car park areas where the surf schools operate in Keel are perfect , just a sand dune between you and a fabulous beach .
    Also in beautiful Keem Bay , lots of car parks at different levels where we have often seen campers overnighting without any problem .
    You should really try to get to Achill , I personally believe it's the best area on the entire Wild Atlantic Way .
    Kevin www.iwmotorhomes.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭gigantic09

Its a common enough practice at Westport quay,especially these summer month's.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,549 ✭✭✭*Kol*

Keel beach and Keem seem to be the places to go. In Keel you have the pub and restaurant nearby and rental of surf stuff if you need it.I am sure you could go into the campsite and buy a shower token and use it if you wanted to.

• Registered Users Posts: 337 ✭✭campingcarist

I stayed overnight in Keem - the end of the road. Down by the beach. It was wonderful to see the pods of seals (?) porpoises (?) or dolphins (?) swimming across the bay. Lovely quiet spot. I'm 70 and it was my first time on Achill Island.

Well worth a visit is the deserted village (if you like that kind of thing).

• Advertisement
Advertisement