Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Honda Freed Japanese imports

Options
  • 15-08-2016 10:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 70 ✭✭

Hi, I will admit to no know nothing about these cars. Looking for opinions on a: Make HONDA
    Model:Freed
    Description 1.5
    5 DOORS
    Fuel Type PETROL
    Japanese import to Ireland,
    Dose any one own one and would like to give me a quick review on them,
    these are nice looking cars and should be a good vehicle on the road.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,472 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

I wouldn't buy one for these reasons...
    Insurance company will have a loading on them because of ease of theft and lack of parts availability should it be in a crash.
    Original radio will either still be in Japanese or will be replaced normally with some inferior aftermarket thing.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

Insurance company will have a loading on them
    Yep, very likely. First thing I'd do is make sure I can get a quote.
    because of ease of theft
    Eh this is 2016, not 1996. Your ideas are way out of date. The model in question IIRC came out first in the mid noughties so should have built in immobiliser and likely alarm with it.
    and lack of parts availability should it be in a crash.
    Less an issue theses days, but again yeah would affect the insurance quote.
    Original radio will either still be in Japanese or will be replaced normally with some inferior aftermarket thing.
    Again this is 2016, not the middle of the Celtic Tiger Jap import boom. Times have moved on.

Shanye, if that's the car you'd like, then numero uno double check you can get reasonable insurance on it. It's not exactly sporty or fast so that should help there.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

There are plenty cars sold new in Japan today without an immobiliser,and quite a lot that list it as an option.

And yes the frequency for fm is still different in Japan.I know of a 2015 Japanese import that has had to have its head unit changed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭magentis

Deffo ring your insurance company op.Some will not insure Japanese imports at all,it can also be possible to add an expander to the existing head unit,but not always.

They can work out to be a great buy at the right price.But you need to go into it with your eyes open.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,973 ✭✭✭Chris_Heilong

A lot of Japanese cars have keyless entry which wont start unless the coded key is present. The radio is an easy fix as you just get an expander fitted. Insurance companies are loading everyone these days so I would say there is not much difference between import or not, bigger issue is if the company will take you on as new business on an Import, if you are transferring from a different car then it is less of an issue, People are definitely getting quotes as just look at all the Nissan March and Honda Fits that are around.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 44 rhino1

Band expanders are a waste of time .Japanese Radio runs from 79-89 Fm.Irish from 89-200fm.
    The expander means you can pick up the irish stations but will have no idea what station your on.Just budget for a nice sony head unit and double check your insurance will cover japanese imports.Add kill switches if your worried about security.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,917 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

A lot of Japanese cars have keyless entry which wont start unless the coded key is present. The radio is an easy fix as you just get an expander fitted. Insurance companies are loading everyone these days so I would say there is not much difference between import or not, bigger issue is if the company will take you on as new business on an Import, if you are transferring from a different car then it is less of an issue, People are definitely getting quotes as just look at all the Nissan March and Honda Fits that are around.

They are getting insured but with a bigger loading and less options than genuine imports, since all cars are imported to Ireland. A co worker has a lovely JDM car but really struggled to get a decent quote a few months ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

Wibbs wrote: »
    because of ease of theft
    Eh this is 2016, not 1996. Your ideas are way out of date. The model in question IIRC came out first in the mid noughties so should have built in immobiliser and likely alarm with it.
    Again this is 2016, not the middle of the Celtic Tiger Jap import boom. Times have moved on.

Shanye, if that's the car you'd like, then numero uno double check you can get reasonable insurance on it. It's not exactly sporty or fast so that should help there.
    I'd agree,i m on my second insurance on my Jap imported,honda insight,with Liberty,no probs,cant see all insurance companies not covering you

• Registered Users Posts: 8,641 ✭✭✭corks finest

Wibbs wrote: »
    because of ease of theft

I'd agree,i m on my second insurance on my Jap imported,honda insight,with Liberty,no probs,cant see all insurance companies not covering youyes,but an aftermarket unit is easy to out in,i did

Advertisement