Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Boards.ie Game Club#2 Desert Strike

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,133 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Ohhh my... I'll get round to this tonight. I loved these games.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,602 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

One of the coolest videogame covers of all time.

Desert_Strike_-_Return_to_the_Gulf_Coverart.png

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

Browser playable versions of the game here if you're interested.

Mod snip. Naughty links.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Absolutely loved this and Jungle Strike back in the day!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 34,544 CMod ✭✭✭✭CiDeRmAn

I think it lost the plot a bit with Urban Strike, I remember the quite unfunny tie in strip in 2000AD back in the day.
    But this was the one I enjoyed the most, although Soviet Strike was pretty good too.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

CiDeRmAn wrote: »
    I think it lost the plot a bit with Urban Strike, I remember the quite unfunny tie in strip in 2000AD back in the day.
    But this was the one I enjoyed the most, although Soviet Strike was pretty good too.

That was an absolutely ridiculous strip but I loved it, although I've a bit of a thing for Mick Austin's artwork.

I always got the sense that the guys didn't get any kind of script or direction from Electronic Arts so just decided to go mental with it :D

I had Desert, Jungle and Urban on the Megadrive back when they came out. - was super excited for Soviet but even then, I found it almost impossible to play with the low framerate.

Lost interest by the time Nuclear came out, actually I still don't think I've ever played that at all.

Anyway, will see if I can get a chance to fire up the MD this evening for a bit of Saddam huntin' :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Excuse me, it's 'The Madman' not Saddam :P

• Registered Users Posts: 29,571 ✭✭✭✭Zero-Cool

Looked up the browser version and works perfect. Great game but got a bit bored after destroying the airfield. Think I have fonder memories of Jungle Strike. Best thing to come out of it though, I found Comix Zone on that browser site, greatest Mega Drive game ever.

Back OT, Desert Strike seemed ahead of it's time. Simple and precise controls, especially for a flying game.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

I tried it a few years back, but I would rather treasure the memories of playing it as a kid, flying around, rescuing people with hooks, blowing up hangers while looking for hostages and bricking it every time I saw a SAM site. It looks a bit spartan now, but I enjoy flying around the map trying to find awesome secrets.

Just a random shoutout to another chooper game of the era, zeewolf, it was like a much sexier desert strike with 3 dimensions.

Master of the Universe

Don't meant to go too far off track but another interesting one from this era (well a little after Desert Strike) is Red Zone on the Megadrive.

It doesn't play too well, but there are a lot of visual effects going on (including a FMV intro video) that look a bit mad and out of place on a Megadrive.

• Advertisement
    Master of the Universe

Finally got around to giving this a go yesterday. My Megadrive games are all in storage but I managed to find a Snes copy instead.

Title music really is naff when compared to the Megadrive thrashy guitars but what can you do!

It's been probably a good 10 years since I gave this a proper go and it really does still play well. I'm actually itching to get home from work and give it another bash.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

both pale into insignificance compared against the Amiga version :D

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 50,943 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Well I was supposed to give this a go after the weekend. Went to my parents to pick up the game and my Megadrive but they had done some rearranging which meant shoving all my games behind all the junk in the attic. Managed to find the game, Megadrive but not the controller and RGB cable so it will have to be crappy emulation at this stage :(

Advertisement