Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Help with Father's name on Cert.

Options
  • 15-08-2016 10:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭

Hi all,
    Having a bit of bother making out the surname of the father on this cert. I'm seeing M I L N U? I E S?. Have never heard of that surname before..
    I think a few more pairs of eyes are whats needed :P
    Any ideas welcome!

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Milmowes?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,623 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Milnuves?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

• Registered Users Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Milneaives. Trying to work off the rest of the writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,108 ✭✭✭Jellybaby1

It could be a mispelling. I wonder if it should be Mellowes?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,138 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

There are families called Milmoe and similar scattered about the country in the 1901 census. I had never heard of any name similar to it, but we live and learn.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,147 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Yes, Mispelling of Mellowes might be a good shout.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,288 ✭✭✭mickmackey1

Father not included on nli entry. Third last, lower right -

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635226#page/112/mode/1up

• Registered Users Posts: 69 ✭✭Mez1982

Father not included on nli entry. Third last, lower right -

http://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000635226#page/112/mode/1up

Is there any reason why the priest would leave the fathers name out of the church entry? If he is down on the civil record then surely he was with the mother?

Well the parents are unmarried on the civil record. You see how the "formerly" is crossed out on the mother's information.
    The priest may not have recorded the father because the birth was illegitimate.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Well the parents are unmarried on the civil record. You see how the "formerly" is crossed out on the mother's information.
    The priest may not have recorded the father because the birth was illegitimate.

Ah I see. I believe that this may be my G, Grandmothers birth record. Her marriage record in 1900 has her father listed as a Michael Donohoe BUT her birth year is between 1876 (from her death record) and 1878 (from her census age) and there is no other birth record which I can find for a Mary Donohoe in Longwood with a Catherine Kiernan as her mother and absolutely 0 for a Michael Donohoe as father.

When I went to Trim's registration centre this was the only one coming up on her system with a Catherine Kiernan as a mother in those time frames. I found what I believe is a marriage record ( still waiting on that from Roscommon) which I'm hoping is her mothers marriage to Michael Donohoe.

I have also found her brothers birth record and he was born after the marriage of Micheal and Catherine. I just find it strange that I can find her brothers record but even though she was only born 1-4 years before why it wouldn't be showing up If she was indeed born to Michael also....
    Apologies for the Long winded post!

Well, it's possible that she and her brother had different fathers but that Michael Donohoe raised her and she considered him her father.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Well, it's possible that she and her brother had different fathers but that Michael Donohoe raised her and she considered him her father.

Yes that is what has been going through my mind at this stage also. Longwood records online only have birth entries up to the beginning of 1878 and marriages are the same so that could account for not finding a church record if she was born in the latter half of 1878 but I was sure that the civil record would be there as I assumed it was compulsory?
    Thanks to everyone for the help, much appreciated as always!

Yes, it was compulsory but people slip through, usually because of transcription errors.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Sorry this probably is a silly question but If he did indeed take her as his own, would her mother have had to re-register her with the Donohoe surname as It seems that because the fathers name was down on the cert that he was recognising Mary as his daughter? or was It only left blank in cases where the mother didn't know the father?

Any of those things could have happened.

If this is the right baby, I'd read it as unmarried parents where the father acknowledged the child. If when she married, the husband took on her older child, there'd be no need to re-register her but they might have moved to a new area and just pretended to be married longer. This might be a reason why they fudged her age sometimes, but people did not know their exact age in the past and it could be down to this.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement