Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

UCS re releases?

Options
  • 15-08-2016 7:56pm

I'm very late to the party. New to lego and just recently found out about the ultimate sets. I'd be looking for the X-Wing and fantasize about getting the Millennium Falcon (once I sell a kidney). Maybe the Imperial Shuttle.

So you Lego veterans do they ever do re releases? Maybe they might re release the MF with the updated one of the new movies? Any chance you think? God knows where I'd get the money from but just dreaming...

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 8,561 Mod ✭✭✭✭Rhyme

I've seen them get extensions so they are on sale for longer than expected eg. the UCS X-Wing that retired last year was 'retiring soon' for months before not being retired for a while and then 'retiring soon' again. So either they predicted that it would sell out and sales dropped so they had to revise their schedule or it did genuinely get an extension.

There are talks every now and then about re-releasing the Millennium Falcon but, from what I've heard, none of that talk comes from Lego themselves. The glamour around the larger and more expensive UCS sets springs from their size, complexity and how difficult they are to obtain, re-releasing them would damage that image so, who knows. Seeing the originally $499 Millennium Falcon, now selling for up to $5000 take a nose-dive in value if it were re-released would be great. I don't think I'd buy it, but I dislike Lego speculators and traders that hold onto sets to sell them again once they've retired for inflated prices so hearing their dismay wouldn't be a bad thing in my book.

Your best bet, if the Millennium Falcon is what you want, is to keep an eye on Bricklink and hope for the best. I've heard of people getting complete second-hand sets for less than 1000euro so there is always hope.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

I've always believed that Lego would release an update of the millennium falcon, we've had two x-wings so far and Lego really seems to like their super expensive set at the moment, but looking at the "new" Death Star now makes me question how much of an update it will actually be.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,466 ✭✭✭NinjaTruncs

There's also speculation (I'm not sure if it's been confirmed) that a new UCS snowspeeder will be released next year. So there is a chance the Falcon will be re-released.

If those images of the new Death Star are real it seems like a weird decision by Lego to basically release the exact same set with a few small tweaks. They are basically cutting out all the potential sales from UCS collectors. Releasing a copy will only attract new collectors, while something different would have the new and old collectors purchasing.

4.3kWp South facing PV System. South Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 2,553 ✭✭✭madalig12

I have a x wing red 5 id sell. Waiting to bricklink 6 pieces its missing first.

Thanks but I already picked one up on eBay for silly money!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

There's also speculation (I'm not sure if it's been confirmed) that a new UCS snowspeeder will be released next year. So there is a chance the Falcon will be re-released.

If those images of the new Death Star are real it seems like a weird decision by Lego to basically release the exact same set with a few small tweaks. They are basically cutting out all the potential sales from UCS collectors. Releasing a copy will only attract new collectors, while something different would have the new and old collectors purchasing.

I'd expect the constant new supply of young kids pestering their parents to buy them the biggest Lego set available easily offsets any lack of sales to old aged collectors. There will be more kids around now wanting the sets that were not even born when they were first released so they will hardly care if it's a minor update to a set that was older than they are.

Lads being a Lego noob can someone tell me where is the best place to stay up to date on new releases? Like if they do re-issue the Falcon where would I get the news first?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,463 ✭✭✭Oafley Jones

Lads being a Lego noob can someone tell me where is the best place to stay up to date on new releases? Like if they do re-issue the Falcon where would I get the news first?

Brickset.com

Thebrickfan.com

The lego sub reddit.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 24,083 Mod ✭✭✭✭robinph

I wouldn't worry too much about missing a new set coming out, it will be available for ages after it comes out and you'll be able to pick it up easily from many places.

What you want to keep an eye on is sets that are about to be discontinued as once they are gone the prices through other methods will probably go up.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Rael

Brickset.com

Thebrickfan.com

The lego sub reddit.

I'd also add the Star Wars forum on eurobricks. Link below:

http://www.eurobricks.com/forum/index.php?showforum=86

• Advertisement
Advertisement