Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Hong Kong Warty Newt has severe bloating.

Options
  • 15-08-2016 4:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭

Hi, need some help please. I have a very old Hong Kong Warty Newt who has very bad bloating. She looks like she is about to explode. Shes 13 years of age and lives in a tank with a paddle tailed newt who is about the same age. The water is always clean and they live in a spacious tank.I looked it up and I think its a bacterial infection ,not kidney problems because kidney issues are usually the case with newly imported newst , but maby not? However kidney problems in these creatures seem to be irreversable..so if drops dont work then it doesnt look good! Just wondering would tropical fish drops for internal infections work the same? Its all the pet shops around me have and I'm running out of time I think. Needs treatment asap. I am living in Cork.
    Thank you.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,277 ✭✭✭aonb

Bring her to a vet!
    Phone around to find one that would treat an exotic like yours...

• Registered Users Posts: 3,413 ✭✭✭Stigura

OP; There's probably only one man on the planet that will best be able to advise here. I don't know ~ and don't want to bother checking ~ the rules here. So, I'll PM you what I can.

I wonder if ye referring to a CB PH? If so, it was probably either bred by me, or someone following my published instructions. The guy I'm PM'ing you about gave me advise which saved me losing the lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ahclassbai

Stigura wrote: »
    OP; There's probably only one man on the planet that will best be able to advise here. I don't know ~ and don't want to bother checking ~ the rules here. So, I'll PM you what I can.

I wonder if ye referring to a CB PH? If so, it was probably either bred by me, or someone following my published instructions. The guy I'm PM'ing you about gave me advise which saved me losing the lot.

Thank you very much. Much appreciated!

• Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Hello, really strange coincidence I have what i thought were 2 fire bellied newts, but they may be hong kong warty newts. They are about 25 years old. Never had any problems with them until yesterday when I noticed one had the same bloatyness you describe, all swollen up. The two are in the vets tonight so hopefully they'll be able to figure out whats wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭ahclassbai

Rockiemalt wrote: »
    Hello, really strange coincidence I have what i thought were 2 fire bellied newts, but they may be hong kong warty newts. They are about 25 years old. Never had any problems with them until yesterday when I noticed one had the same bloatyness you describe, all swollen up. The two are in the vets tonight so hopefully they'll be able to figure out whats wrong.

That is weird! keep me informed , I'm going to bring mine to the vet today too. I have found a vet in cork that does exotic animals , I just thought that the trip might be too traumatic for her if there is a solution with drops!. Hong Kong's have the red underbelly too , you recon yours are hnok kong warty newts? They live for ages dont they?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 866 ✭✭✭Rockiemalt

Well they were sold to 12 year old me as fire bellied newts so I'm not sure! they were x rayed and bloaty newt is getting salt baths and the other is getting calcium medication for bone problems. Will be interesting to see how that goes...

Advertisement