Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Confirm my thinking; warped disc? [2003 Cit. C5 2.0Hdi]

Options
  • 15-08-2016 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭

Right so. I've been getting a case of shudder through the steering wheel under braking; usually coming when slowing down for a junction coming off a motorway or off a main road. Not under seriously hard braking but under moderate braking from speed.

No vibration through the foot pedal.

No apparent play in track rod ends or ball joints. Tyres wearing symmetrically. No play in the steering or drag one way or the other when driving. So I think it's not a steering/suspension issue.

Whipped off the wheels with the handbrake off (operates on the front wheels on the C5). Spun the drivers side by hand, binding for a portion of the disc and free the other. Passenger side rotating freely.

Enough to confirm a warpy disc, I think so. But sounding out the idea before I spend 70 quid on discs and another few euros on pads. :o

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Possibly. Is there any vibration around 110kph when driving?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,159 ✭✭✭blackbox

Vibration sometimes caused by contamination between disc and hub meaning that disk is not sitting perfectly true. Unlikely if disc hasn't been removed for some time.

If fitting replacements make sure hub face is completely clean and smooth (wire brush). I once had new discs appear to warp very quickly - suspect this was the cause.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

biko wrote: »
    Possibly. Is there any vibration around 110kph when driving?

If I slowed from 110 to 70ish km/h for an off ramp, then yes. Otherwise when driving it's all okay. Vibration through the steering wheel only.
    blackbox wrote: »
    Vibration sometimes caused by contamination between disc and hub meaning that disk is not sitting perfectly true. Unlikely if disc hasn't been removed for some time.

If fitting replacements make sure hub face is completely clean and smooth (wire brush). I once had new discs appear to warp very quickly - suspect this was the cause.

They've not been changed since I got the car. And it's done 35k miles since that. I'd say there on years at this point, there not far off needing to be changed anyway.

Usually get the mating surfaces good and clean between the hub with a wire brush and some emery paper.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,316 ✭✭✭Mycroft H

Changed them today. Vibration gone. All is well.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,484 ✭✭✭Bazzy

great feeling of success

• Advertisement
Advertisement