Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"Your hardware settings have changed. Please reboot your computer....!!"

• 15-08-2016 1:35pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭

Help!

Today, after a Windows 10 x64 n(automatic) update, I got the following error message after a reboot:

"Your hardware settings have changed. Please reboot your computer for these changes to take effect!!"

The text is a little fuzzy, though the rest of the screen is tack sharp.

I can delete the message, but it appears after every reboot.

It's all over the web - obviously a very widespread problem - but, I can't find a solution that works.

I tried updating my AMD Radeon 7970 driver software, but when I check the Properties, I see that it's a 2015 driver that Windows has put there.

What can I do to fix this error?

Thanks.

D.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,071 ✭✭✭ItHurtsWhenIP

Can you roll back to a System Restore point before the update?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,408 ✭✭✭Dinarius

MMFITWGDV wrote: »
    Can you roll back to a System Restore point before the update?

I don't think so.

Thanks for the reply.

D.

Sounds like Windows 10 is shoving an older driver down your throat. The forced driver policy is my biggest hate with it.

What you can do is to roll back the driver to a version that works, and then run the tool from here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/kb/3073930

You can then block the older driver from being reinstalled.

Karsini wrote: »
    Sounds like Windows 10 is shoving an older driver down your throat. The forced driver policy is my biggest hate with it.

What you can do is to roll back the driver to a version that works, and then run the tool from here:

https://support.microsoft.com/en-ie/kb/3073930

You can then block the older driver from being reinstalled.

Thanks for the reply.

It says I have Version 1511, Build 10586.545

Should I update to Version 1607, the so-called "Anniversary Update"?

Thanks.

D.

Dinarius wrote: »
    Thanks for the reply.

It says I have Version 1511, Build 10586.545

Should I update to Version 1607, the so-called "Anniversary Update"?

Thanks.

D.
    It will eventually upgrade you anyway so you might as well get it over and done with. May not solve the driver issue though.

• Advertisement

Karsini wrote: »
    It will eventually upgrade you anyway so you might as well get it over and done with. May not solve the driver issue though.

I upgraded to Version 1607, Build 14393.51, and it appears to have worked.

Having rebooted three times, the error message seems to have stopped.

1607 has been around for a while. Odd that it didn't update to it automatically earlier.

Anyway, happy days, I think. :rolleyes:

Thanks again.

D.

Both my laptop and my desktop have gone through major updates in the last day.

As was the case back in August, while they both have the same version 1607.

As was the case in August, the laptop is showing the "Your hardware settings have changed. Please reboot your computer....!!" error after each reboot.

I can't quite remember what I did to fix it back then.

It's very frustrating.

There are no warning flags that I can see in Device Manager.

Help!

Thanks.

D.

Sorted - I think!

In Device Manager > Display Adapters, I right-clicked on AMD Radeon and chose Properties/Driver/Uninstall, and then rebooted.

There was no "Your hardware settings have changed........." message on reboot and it says the device is "Working properly" in Device Manager now.

D.

For the record, this has happened to me again over the weekend, and uninstalling the AMD driver did the trick again.

D.

And again.............! :mad:

It seems that this error now appears after each Windows automatic update.

Really annoying.

D.

• Advertisement

Might be worth trying this. Blocks Windows 10 from downloading driver updates:

https://www.tenforums.com/tutorials/48277-driver-updates-windows-update-enable-disable-windows-10-a.html

Advertisement