Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Is it stupid to part with 12 - 15k for an audi a5 coupe?

Options
  • 15-08-2016 10:54am
    Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭

Hi.

I have been squirreling away a few bob the last year or two and I have abouts 10k at present in the car fund. It's every penny I have and soon enough the house extension fund is going to have to take preference.

I'm looking at audi a5 coupe but for about 12k. All your looking at is 09 with 150k+ miles which is bonkers to me. I feel I probably can't afford this car and I'm looking at the 2.0l diesel as I really couldn't afford more than 600 pa tax or high insurance.

Is this car out of my league. Are the bottom end cars more hassle than they are worth. Will I turn into a bit of a see you next Tuesday if I get my hands on the keys.

All thoughts appreciated. I've bmw 320 coupe or a5 coupe in my head. They are so nice :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,863 ✭✭✭MuddyDog

Hi.

I have been squirreling away a few bob the last year or two and I have abouts 10k at present in the car fund. It's every penny I have and soon enough the house extension fund is going to have to take preference.

I'm looking at audi a5 coupe but for about 12k. All your looking at is 09 with 150k+ miles which is bonkers to me. I feel I probably can't afford this car and I'm looking at the 2.0l diesel as I really couldn't afford more than 600 pa tax or high insurance.

Is this car out of my league. Are the bottom end cars more hassle than they are worth. Will I turn into a bit of a see you next Tuesday if I get my hands on the keys.

All thoughts appreciated. I've bmw 320 coupe or a5 coupe in my head. They are so nice :(

If it's all your savings you'd be mad (IMO) to use it all on a car. You should always have savings just in case of unexpected emergencies/rainy days. Personally, I'd save some more and then use a % of it to get the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

It's more justifying lumping that sort of money on anew 8 year old car with 150,000 miles on it which is probably the best I could achieve. I'm trying to figure out is that the stupidest thing I could possibly do and will I be buying a money sink hole. I could get a 151 focus or simular for that kind of money.

The only 3 cars to have peaked my interest so far are the a5. The 320 or the scirrocco but all 3 are circa 20k for a reasonable year/ mileage

• Registered Users Posts: 701 ✭✭✭ray o

I've been there before and my money went on the extension not a newer car.

I drive a 99 Golf Gti. It's rock solid - gives me no jip and I have it 9 years now. I like cars, I would love to own so many that I see on the road, but........... I put my money elsewhere.

Don't throw all your cash into a reasonably high end car. When things go wrong on them you'll need cash to get them sorted.

My mate had an A5, one of the zenon bulbs went and Audi North Dublin quoted circa 300 euro to replace! He got it sorted elsewhere for 120, but it's just an example of what it can cost maintaining some type of cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭cardinal tetra

I suppose I could buy a 162 fiat panda.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Chancer3001

Think about how cool you'll look driving it though

• Advertisement
Advertisement