Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Reviewing games

Options
  • 15-08-2016 9:44am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭

A friend has got in touch with me about a person she is doing voluntary work for. He is wheelchair-bound but has a big interest in computers (specifically computer games). He would love to do some work in this area (I think he would like to review games). He doesn't want to be paid (at least at the start). Is there anywhere specifically that he could go about this?
    I searched this forum and found a few other posts about this subject but my question is a bit different as the person has a disability so I hope the mods don't mind.
    Thanks for any replies.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,271 CMod ✭✭✭✭Nody

He's highly unlikely to ever be paid; as for doing it simply start a YouTube channel because chances of him being picked up anywhere without previous work to show is pretty much zero.

• Registered Users Posts: 714 ✭✭✭feelgoodinc27

Polygon are recruiting, but Ireland isn't explicitly included: http://www.polygon.com/2016/8/4/12193246/polygon-is-looking-for-new-reviewers?

Nody is right though building up experience through creating content via YouTube, Twitch, a blog is the way to start.

I'd also be interested to know if anyone has contact details for pr companies that supply review copies or is it the actual game developer that you need to contact

• Registered Users Posts: 3,977 ✭✭✭lukin

Thanks for all the replies,I'll pass them on.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,737 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

I'd also be interested to know if anyone has contact details for pr companies that supply review copies or is it the actual game developer that you need to contact

I know ye can mail the devs and explain that you've a youtube channel, site, whatever other media and have a genuine interest in the game and wish to review it - though if you're doing that, tint it so that you're appearing as a fan regardless of whether ye are or not - at worst you wont get a reply, and at the least they can only say no. Would help if you've reviewed some other games that have already been released so that you can provide some examples.. if they like what they see you've a decent chance of getting a review copy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭holy guacamole

I've reviewed games on and off for a few different sites over the years, all unpaid I hasten to add.

The best way for your friend to get into the 'industry' is to join up with one of the smaller sites as a staff writer and if he proves to be a decent writer he'll eventually be given the opportunity to review games.

There's positions advertised here.

Does your friend have any journalism or writing experience? Although these positions will all be unpaid they will still require a certain level of writing ability.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 28,633 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shiminay

^^^^ Definitely this.

Best way to break in is to just start with the games they already have, show off their own take on how a review is put together etc.

Advertisement