Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What's the point of an Irish Olympic team

Options
  • 14-08-2016 9:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭

Why can't Ireland produce any elite Olympians...apart from Katie Taylor there's no one, there never is anyone! is it money is it facilities ?

watching the track cycling and Britain clean up the thought struck me, why don't we have anyone who can go round a track very very fast on a bike

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,167 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

Eh, did you miss the rowing?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The point of an Irish Olympic team is to represent Ireland at the Olympics.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,462 ✭✭✭✭WoollyRedHat

sonofenoch wrote: »
    Why can't Ireland produce any elite Olympians...apart from Katie Taylor there's no one, there never is anyone! is it money is it facilities ?

watching the track cycling and Britain clean up the thought struck me, why don't we have anyone who can go round a track very very fast on a bike

Don't know why we don't clean up in the dart..train every day.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,248 ✭✭✭✭BoJack Horseman

The point of an Irish Olympic team is to represent Ireland at the Olympics.

/end thread.

• Site Banned Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭XR3i

if only there was a drinking competition

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,461 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

"It's taking part that counts."

• Registered Users Posts: 28,906 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

why don't we have anyone who can go round a track very very fast on a bike
    If it comes to that, what's the point of going round a track very fast on a bike in the first place :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

We probably do, trouble is we only have 3 velodromes and they're all outdoors. Bit tough to get the training in at 70kph with the wind and rain in your face.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭evolving_doors

Ya maan it's pointless. Like what's the point of anything really. This world depresses me. Screw everyone .I hate ye all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

XR3i wrote: »
    if only there was a drinking competition

We'd be beaten by the Germans and Scandinavians. The Russians would also beat us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,152 ✭✭✭sonofenoch

HeidiHeidi wrote: »
    If it comes to that, what's the point of going round a track very fast on a bike in the first place :confused:

So I can watch them on tv with a beer and think how great we are :D

• Registered Users Posts: 423 ✭✭AlfaZen

We could produce a lot more than we do but many of our best sports women and men play the parochial sports and will never get the opportunity on the international stage.
    Other countries of comparable size don't have such sports as GAA. Which while great for us, doesn't lend itself to showing talent on the world stage.
    Having said that we still produce some genuine top class sports women and men. And all sports people are great roll models wether that be the international athletes or the parish GAA teams

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

/end thread.

/end thread complete.

There's an Olympics megathread OP.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement