Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

No Debs date

Options
  • 14-08-2016 9:44pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭

Any Boy in the Ennis or surrounding area need a date for the Debs in the next few weeks? I have a daughter who hasn't anyone to bring to hers and now says She doesn't want to go now. I feel sad for her but shes too much of a mouse.
    Anyways on the off chance that theres a boy out there in a similar position let me know

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,193 ✭✭✭Mark Tapley

This is a really bad idea. Try and bolster her confidence , don't make a holy show of her and call her a mouse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

Really? I`m only trying to help her out, Ive tried to boost her confidence but Shes really shy and quiet. I guess shes never had to put herself out there.
    Anyways, I was only asking on the off chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 855 ✭✭✭TSMGUY

LOL a girl in a similar situation made a thread like this a few weeks back and now I'm taking her. We actually have a lot in common and everything's going swimmingly.

Don't give up OP, you might find someone on here, although it'd probably be better if you had your daughter's blessing first. Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 492 ✭✭The Cuban

TSMGUY wrote: »
    LOL a girl in a similar situation made a thread like this a few weeks back and now I'm taking her. We actually have a lot in common and everything's going swimmingly.

Don't give up OP, you might find someone on here, although it'd probably be better if you had your daughter's blessing first. Good luck.

Cheers, I don`t know about getting her blessing for this but She has given up without trying! Maybe I`m more stressed about it than her
    This will be the last time, She`ll have to get out there herself after this!

• Registered Users Posts: 169 ✭✭childsplay

You might want to think about how your daughters peers might behave if they find out that her mam or dad avertised for a date to take her to the debs. Teenagers can be very very nasty. I went through hell at school myself and like your daughter didn't have anyone to take to my debs. Asked a chap from work to go as a friend. What l didn't know was that the others in work were running a book to see if this chap could score with me. It was humiliating and hurtful. And if this all backfires on your daughter she could end up in a similar situation. Just be careful...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Hollister11

A lot of people go as groups of friends, I did, and it was great craic. Could you encourage her to do this

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭Cakes and Ale

I'd say if she doesn't want to go just let her miss it. Years from now it will feel utterly insignificant!

• Registered Users Posts: 33 lalabear53

Do you have any neighbours a year younger/older that would be happy to go?

Honestly most boys that age would love the opportunity to go to a debs! If she is in a mixed school I suggest that she may be ask one of the 5th years if they have friends going they may want to go!

If not the debs date situation really isn't that big of a deal when you get to your debs must people don't stay with their dates anyway!

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The Cuban wrote: »
    Really? I`m only trying to help her out, Ive tried to boost her confidence but Shes really shy and quiet. I guess shes never had to put herself out there.
    Anyways, I was only asking on the off chance.
    I know you mean well, but I'm not sure if it's a great idea tbh ... different if she had chosen to post herself.

Let's say you get a response, how do you think she will react to you posting here? Take it on a step, she goes to the Debs with him ... "How did you two meet?" ... "Um, my mum posted on an internet forum and found him!"
    Different though when the girl herself says "oh feck it, let's give it a whirl!"

Btw, did you warn her she'll need a stepladder? :D
    lalabear53 wrote: »
    Do you have any neighbours a year younger/older that would be happy to go?

Honestly most boys that age would love the opportunity to go to a debs! If she is in a mixed school I suggest that she may be ask one of the 5th years if they have friends going they may want to go!
    Or the son of a family friend of around the same age who she already knows? I'm sure most lads wouldn't mind a visit to Ennis in the summer ...

Different though when the girl herself says "oh feck it, let's give it a whirl!"

Btw, did you warn her she'll need a stepladder? :D
    Yeah, as I said, the daughter's blessing wouldn't be a bad idea. I can't think of anything more mortifying than having your mum/dad hook you up without your permission. Practically an arranged marriage!

Ah, keen memory on you, Randy. She really is only 5'2 to my 6'5:eek: If Stephen Merchant and Ricky Gervais can make it work, so will we!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 29,509 Mod ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

She really is only 5'2 to my 6'5
    Well, in fairness, if you were 5' 2" to her 6' 5" it would look a lot more odd ... :p

Well, in fairness, if you were 5' 2" to her 6' 5" it would look a lot more odd ... :p

Kevin Hart's 5'2 and he just married a model!

#SHORTLIVESMATTER

I'd say if she doesn't want to go just let her miss it. Years from now it will feel utterly insignificant!

To be honest, I disagree.
    I never went to my debs as I was a mouse as well and wouldn't have the nerve to ask anyone.

Now years later, I am sorry I didn't go.
    I don't spend days thinking about it or anything, nor am I emotionally scarred, but the subject came up recently as my eldest is going to his and he asked me who did I bring.

He is lucky, a girl in his school asked him and a girl in another school asked him to her debs too. He obviously didn't inherit his Mothers lack of popularity. :D

But looking back I wish I had asked anyone, feel I missed out a bit....

Just to add, fair play to OP for trying to help out her daughter.

Advertisement